Practice session recording equipment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dkelley, Jan 26, 2006.

1. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    I'm thinking of getting some basic equipment to do recordings of myself during practice sessions. I'm not looking to make a CD or anything, I just want to be able to have a quick playback option. Ideally, the solution will be portable so I can take it to a practice room. Then I could record and get instant feedback. I guess I need a microphone, some kind of recording medium, and playback through speakers/headphones. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I know a few people who do this with a minidisk recorder, which is probably a good bet, although I don't know any real specifics regarding which ones or what options they have.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I use an iPod with microphone hooked up. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but I mostly use it to check rhythm so it works for me.
    -Jimi

4. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the ideas.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Digital Recorder

The Edirol R-1 is an excellent flashcard memory medium. Two very good internal mics. Records in stereo. Headphones can be used or outboard powered speakers. Very accurate and portable. Larger flash memory cards are better for extended time frames. 1 or 12 gigs recommended.

mp3 and WAV files are both good.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Re: Digital Recorder

I just googled the R-1 and it looks very nice, but a you can find mini-disc recorders for under $150. the r-1 was about $450 on the site I saw.

What I use is a Sony Mindisc recorder with the Sony stereo mic. It works very well. The quality is very good, I have made many audition cds using it.

If you do decide to get a minidisc do some research on which model you want. Alot of them do not have the mic input so they would not work. The older ones do not allow you to transfer your recordings digitally to a computer. With them you have to record it analog with a cable to the sound card and record a wav file in real time.

From what I have heard, th newer ones allow you to transfer your recordings digitally so there is no loss in quality. These are also more expensive.

When I get a gig and a house, I swear I will have a full out studio/practice room. It will have a whole thing next to my chair where i can control it all and play it back through really good speakers. I cant wait to get a job, LOL!

7. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    Re: Digital Recorder

Thanks. $450 seemed pretty steep for what I had in mind.

Good tips. You probably saved me some headaches!

Good luck with the job!! By the way, a house isn't all its cracked up to be, with all the repairs and such ;-) . But at least you're less likely to annoy your neighbors when you warm up at 6 in the morning :-) .

8. Bikephan

Bikephan New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Central Missouri
    if you have a laptop with a built in mic you can use this program

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/

It is easy to use. I use it with my students and concert band rehersals.