Practice sessions-to sit or to stand,that is the question!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Jan 18, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hello,fellow trumpet players Im looking to get opinions from our resident experts on this; should one sit or stand during their daily practice routines?? I usually sit, because most days, its 1 a,m, when I practice, and am tired, but would it serve me better, in the breathing aspect of playing, to stand, so Im not smashing all of my insides together while sitting?? Lemme hear your input,friends!!:play:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    95% of my playing is standing, so I practice while standing.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also play standing, so I practice this way. I would advise you practice the way you perform most of the time.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Can you sit comfortably like a military academy cadet, keeping your back off the back of the chair? Truthfully, I've found it practical at home to use a drummer's stool vis backless as such allows me to readily swivel to select any horn in my array or any other item within the reach of my arm. I put the example of the military academy cadet for you to maintain steadfast upper body posture as would allow you to draw upon such for all the wind your body could supply. As another suggestion, I would direct you to keep your feet flat on the floor with no more than 12" between them. If you tap the beat with a foot, learn to do it with your heel rather than your toe. It is little things like that that present likeable stage appearance with "likeable" being a key component of your entire presentation. Otherwise, in the extreme, I could hear the critic say and write, "Their appearance was raunchy and their music just so so run of the mill."
    Yes, for a solist to stand and step to the stage front is ideal, but not when they have to squirm out of their chair and around obstacles to get there. When you're sitting as I've here stated you should be able to stand straight up with no leverage of a hand support ... and not knock anything over.

OK, this is me. What you'll do I won't know as I won't be watching, but there is an outside chance I will read the critic's review of your performance.

Being tired is not an optimum condition for practice ... but you've got to do what you've got to do.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Both - sometimes I stand, sometimes I sit, and truthfully, I have never given it a lot of thought as to which I do and why. Most of the time I gig standing, and I do a fair amount of practice while standing, but that's not really why.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You can put that statement in the bucket and carry it home. That's the perfect answer to all our playing. Don't think about it, just do it and don't ask why. It's just impulsive and a valid action. Enjoy!

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I play as I if were performing.

Back in high school if I was practicing a jazz band piece I would stand, because we always stood up. For concert and symphony pieces I would sit, because that's the way it was rehearsed and the way it was to be play at the concerts.

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I have been asked to do both so in the afternoon I stand for my first practice session and in the evening I sit for the second so I feel comfortable. I think the REAL issue is how to play with my mortal enemy: the music stand. When I take a lesson with my teacher, or play in public it is always too low. Then, the ideal posture and breathing mechanics that I try to develop on my own when I can put the stand at my ideal height, goes out the window, sitting or standing. I always focus on trying to keep my horn and chest up. But, that does seem to be what I am "allowed" to do outside the practice room as constrained by the situation.

BrotherBACH

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I just figure that at this point I've done a fair amount of playing in so many different environments both sitting and standing, that I've got to be able to functionally play with whatever the situation calls for, and most of my focus is spent on the music and what's happening with my breathing and the trumept - I know that I seem to play better when I'm standing because it seems that my air machine works a bit more efficiently that way, but I just don't overthink it and do whatever seems to be the thing to do at the time.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I find standing makes it easier for me to breathe well. I also find it easier to sing when I'm standing. I feel like I can generate more energy when I'm standing, and I can produce louder fortisimos this way. Since it's also better on my back that makes it pretty well a sweep all around. So, I stand to practice, unless I'm tired.

Turtle