PRACTICE SESSIONS: What's yours like?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think it would be interesting to hear what other PRACTICE SESSIONS are like. Helpful, I think, to say how long you've been playing.

For me, (4 months beginner) it goes like this (for now, it keeps changing):

10 min. of memorizing; fingerings, notes, staff lines, theory, etc.

5 min. of lip buzzing w/o the mouthpiece (very helpful!)

15 min. of scales with the metronome.

That's it for THE 1/2 hour practice. Then, I get in about 2 to 5 hours of LISTENING to my growing Jazz collection, while I PLAY ALONG with long tones, trying to find the key (it's not always Bb is it?), just messing around, casually, no stress with lots of rests.

Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BIG Problem: you make no mention of even simple tunes. Music is what musical instruments are all about and tunes belong to the routine from DAY ONE. Three Blind Mice is an accomplishment, as is Happy Birthday. One does not need months for this.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It took me a couple of months to find a teacher .... So, I've only had 2 lessons. I'll talk to him about that.

Any simple jazz tunes to recommend?

T

4. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    sound like my practice sessions, only started about 2 months ago.
    like you any simple jazz tunes or parts of would be a great help.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, mine started 2 weeks ago ....

Something a little more inspiring would be nice. I'd like to avoid the HS band method songs (for the most part) ...... Browsing through some of them are pretty dreary.

Any collections of older jazz tunes, for example, simple ones, in the context of a beginner's program? (Have to wait for the 3rd lesson from my new teacher, he's on holiday).

Turtle

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've been playing about 40 years now (10 years on/5 years off/30 years back on). My usual practice session begins with a scale or two and a few long tones to warm up, followed by a run through of any music I have coming up for a performance, working especially on any problem areas. You have to practice a piece correctly to play it correctly, and familiarity with a piece goes a long way with being able to play it musically.

I'll then usually concentrate on technical and flexibility studies, like Arban's and Schlossberg, followed by playing a few lyrical songs to wind down. If I don't have any specific piece I need to work, I'll usually pull out a war horse of some sort and play it like I'm performing it. I sometimes pick a different keyed horn to practice, just to keep my familiarity with it if I haven't played it in a while, and alternate freely between Bb trumpet and Bb cornet, as those are the two I regularly play.

I take mini breaks while practicing (when I have the time), and when I really begin to tire, I play less stringent exercises/songs. When the wife says she's going to bed, I end my practice session (the bedroom's where I practice). :D

Not beginner advice and not jazz, but maybe you can get a point or two out of my ramblings.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Three blind mice could be pretty jazzy if the player has soul! Happy birthday too.

Concentrate more on tunes that the people around you might like to hear. Beginning trumpeters can be a pretty strong annoyance for the first couple of months.

8. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Good point! the wife sends me to the garage, or the woods 2 miles away. She has yet to appreciate my mellow tones. Good idea about jazzing up easy tunes used to do that a lot with the guitar. Time to dig out some old stuff.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If I have a suggestion, that would be don't poo-poo high school band methods. In fact, such methods aimed at jazz bands might give you the simple jazz tunes you're looking for (try Essential Elements for Jazz ensemble).

Better yet, they show how to take a common tune and make it sound jazzy. From even my limited knowledge of music, it is apparent that Jazz is more about how you play than what you play. Example: listen to "My Favorite Things" as sung in the movie, then to the John Coltrane's version. Same tune, different playing. You can take any hymn or spiritual or kid song and jazz it up, even the ones mentioned by Rowuk above. I had a different focus lately but, on occasions, I used to take a Balay scale study and swing it, just to try out how it sounds.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, that's true Rowuk.

You have a gift for getting to a fundamental point that causes me to stop and re-think. Less picky with choices/play it with more soul. Makes good sense when you guys present it like that, very helpful, thanks.

And NICE, Dale! Thanks for that close look at your practice. That's interesting.

Turtle