PRACTICE SESSIONS: What's yours like?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    My wife just said "BRAVO!".

David

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Tunes aren't jazz. Jazz is how you play a tune. So first begin with teaching yourself simple tunes. Once you get them down, you can "jass them up".

Children make a good audience for many of these:

Mary Had a Little Lamb
    Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
    Row, Row, Row Your Boat
    Mares Eat Oats and Does Eat Oats
    Pop Goes The Weasel (appears in some jazz solos)
    Knick, Knack, Patty Wack (This old man, he played one...)

My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean
    Way Down Upon the Swanee River
    Comin' thru the Rye
    The Old Gray Mare
    She'll Be Comin' 'round the Mountain
    Oh My Darlin (Clementine)
    Oh Susannah!

progressing into musicals:

Doe a Deer
    Happy Talk
    Bali Hai

Rock & Roll:

Hound Dog
    Michelle
    Love Me Tender

anyhow, you get the idea. There are hundreds of tunes all of us know by heart, and thats a good starting point.

When I was a young teenager I played Mary had a Little Lamb on top of seventh chords at the piano.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Even wildlife is affected by the beginner.

I went out to buzz a MP on my deck the other day and noticed a pair of Canadian honker geese, about 1/4 mile away on the farm next door. The moment I began they went crazy, took off and flew right at me, buzzing the house with a lot of very loud honking. Not the reaction I've dreamed of from an audience ....

T

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I do some stuff to warm up, then I play some stuff out of the book, and mess along doing that for a bit, then when I've had enough of that, I mess around figuring stuff out by ear that I want to try, I know, it's a bad habit but well, it's fun. I take breaks because I get tired quick.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Wow. My geese here don't give a darn.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    REALITY CHECK PLEASE! :duh:

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Well, Rowuk,

It's a large MP (Denis Wick MM1C) with a very gutteral sounding bottom end when you're trying to open you throat for the biggest sound. Not necessarily something that sounds good going through the horn, but with this MP and my open throat IT IS LOUD! It's not an attractive sound but can it travel 1/4 mile? Obviously. Or maybe it was only an 1/8 of a mile. Would you like me to step it off? What's your problem?

Turtle

Are you following me???

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most of the time, the truth is more impressive than fantasies projected. I have no problem. The geese could care less about your mouthpiece unless you are sucking eggs with it.

The frequencies produced by a mouthpiece will only travel 1/4 mile during special conditions like a cold winter day on a frozen over lake.

9. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    Hi Turtle,

I would advise you to purchase a beginners method book, this is as good as any:
    A Tune A Day For Trumpet Or Cornet Book One at Musicroom.com - Tuition Books
    Its has a smattering of simple melodic tunes from the first pages.
    If the latest copies come with CD backing so much the better.
    Try to get a couple of lessons from a Tutor or an experienced trumpeter, this should set you on the right path along with a planned practice routine. If you have a beginners method book take it along to your first lesson a good tutor will work with you using your book.
    Then its practice, practice...........

Good luck
    Trumpet golfer.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rowuk has a great point. The goal of all the buzzing, long tones, and exercises is to eventually play music. I keep a fake book on my stand (1001 tunes) and read through a number of them each day.

By the way, Christmas songs can be some of the most "swingingest" charts out there.