Practice Sessions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Hi all.

I'm on holidays (about bloody time) and that just means more time for me to spend on doing what I love doing most.

My plan is three hours a day of practice. Just wondering what's the best way to divide up a three hour practice session. I was considering:
    1. A simple three hour long haul
    2. Two smaller hauls of 1.5 hours
    3. Three one hour sessions

And if I were to divide up the sessions, how long should I leave in between? Will a 2-5 minute warm up do for second or third sessions if I were to divide them?

Thanks in advance!

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If I had the good fortune to have 3 hours a day to practice I would do 1 1/2 hours in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon, each session split into 20 min playing with a 10 min rest in between. 3 hours straight is a hard blow, at least for me.

Regards, Stuart.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    personally -- I would do a marathon 3 hour practice -- with small breaks of course -- to help build endurance a bit. Then I would actually do the next day with "light" soft, easy work --- maybe only 1 -2 hours (to let the lips recoup a bit) -- then the next day back to 2 or 3 hrs. depending on how you feel.
    I think the important thing is ----- although you imagine that you want to play 3 hrs every day -- that actually may not be the wisest thing to do (IMHO) depending on your current trumpet playing status.
    an "off" day of light playing will certainly make the next 3 hour practice more beneficial, and more productive --- I mean as long as you asked for advice and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If it were me, I do 3 one-hour sessions, seperated by seveal hours, where each hour's session is in reality 4-15 minute or 3 20minute sessions with 10 minutes rest in between.

I am not a fan of marathon sessions - the idea is to build up, not tear down which is what happens when we play fatigued.

the other advantage of this approach is that the face gets less of a chance to forget the horn. You get to approximate what full-time pros do which is pretty much constant face time.

All my own experience, woth what you paid for it.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I'd go with choice #3, and maybe split it up into even shorter sessions if possible.

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I won't throw out numbers, but I wouldn't approach this with a "marathon" attitude -- unless you actually approach it like training for a real marathon. Which is to say, if you try to play three hours straight from the get-go, you'll break down. Start with many short, light sessions, broken up with significant breaks. And when you play, play with a light approach -- keep in mind that the players who have outrageous endurance are the ones who don't look like they're working very hard. Practice like you want to play. When playing starts to take effort, stop and rest.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I think the most I have been able to practice to date was two 1.5 hour session separated by 4 to 6 hours. In both sessions there is an good gradual ease in period with lots of rest. The first session is where the heavy lifting is done and the second session is used for scales and repetoire.

BrotherBACH

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I so agree with this. And again, without knowing were you are starting from, it is very hard as noted above to throw out numbers.

If you strain muscle by demanding more then it's prior energy store has adapted to, your muscle generates lactic acid. Strain soon sets in. If caught early, the stress is reversible, and can recover to baseline in several days, but if stain progresses, you risk longer periods of recovery. So be careful and ask yourself why you really need to advance your routine so fast and is it really worth the risk.

9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated.

I've decided to go with two 1.5 hour sessions - one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I'd usually play for an hour a day on school days and two hours a day on the weekends. Now that I'm on holidays, I just want to get some more time in.

I'll be careful not to strain myself too much. Thanks again!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    soft playing can also benefit when adding time to practice sessions ---!! and just play as long as you feel good, when the sound and control starts to go away - -don't push it too much furthur -- -take a break --- play and be happy