Practice space.....soundproof type

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ryan in Texas, Aug 18, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's a difference between sound dampening and soundproofing though. A room can be very live inside, and yet still be soundproofed to whatever is external. Likewise, a room can be deadened a great deal, and still be heard external to the room. This is a topic that frequently comes up on the drumming forums where I post due to the inherent loud nature of acoustic drums.

2. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Whatever you do do not give into the Silent Brass. The back pressure that creates is awful and will through off your game for when you play without it.

3. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    I threw mine away years ago. Awful!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't agree about the Silent Mute system. Yes, it does have resistance. In my case, the lower notes are also sharp. But I use it almost nightly and it's a good way to get some practice in without having someone bang on the apartment walls.

As Tjnaples points out, it can "throw your game off". I just compensate by playing a certain kind of warm up exercise that brings my sound back into focus, before I play "live" in ensembles.

As with many things, it's a matter (for me at least) of balance and degree. Oh - just a caveat. I find that, relating to the side-effects of using that system, using the headphones makes a difference on how I respond physically to playing and has a better carry-over value when I play open horn, vs practicing with the mute only. Also, the latest version of the system is more efficient, less resistant and overall better than the earlier version.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had the opportunity to borrow a Silent Brass system once, and I absolutely hated it. Then again, I've never been in a place where I had to use something like that due to noise, so for me it was more of a novelty than anything else. I think if I was in a small apartment or condo, it would become a necessity and I'd have to do like Kehaulani and find a way to work with it.

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    My experience with the Silent Brass has been mostly positive. Very little resistance, much less than playing with a straight mute. I don't use the headphones, just the mute part.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have always used a Harmon mute with the stem out. That's all I have ever used, and my neighbours still don't know I play.

It's cheap and the sound is good, no one else can hear it if there is a TV going in the other room.

Good luck, and spend the cash saved on a Dinner out with the Missus..... it may build even more support for the trumpet hobby.

8. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I don't use a practice mute but what Adam Rapa recommends and uses is Wallace Practice Mutes. As my teacher he also is the one that turned me off the Silent Brass. For the technique he uses to play, the back pressure from the Silent Brass is extremely counter productive. Each note in the register has a memory point for air direction and where the bottom lip is. The Silent Brass fogs/changes the note targets with the ridiculous amount of back pressure.

Should it work for you and your technique that's sincerely great, another alternative is the Wallace mutes. A video is below for your reference.

http://youtu.be/Hl--4WmtKAo

9. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I knew a guy who practiced his trumpet every night in his car in the parking lot poor man.
    He nearly suffocated once.
    I heard Wallace mutes are quite good. & HUMES & BERG
    I use a cheap Jo-Ral copy practice mute.

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The times I have the need to practice quietly without disturbing others in the house, I use a cup mute. (This was recommended to me by some pros in Chicago).
    When adjusted properly, the cup mute seems to have even back pressure and the intonation is also better than a Harmon. Plus, it does not kill your sound like playing into a pile of clothes can do.
    To each his own.
    Rich T.