Practice strategy using classic method books for self-learning return player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by den2042, Jan 3, 2016.

1. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    also - find pieces that relatively slow - play them even slower - focus on the tone and the notes
    I found a gem of a book called Plainchant for Trumpet -- Twenty Two Lyrical Etudes based on Gregorian Chant Melodies
    This is also good for modal ear training - that is also good for improvisation practice

2. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
  3. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    @All
    Thank you very much for your great advices. I am thrilled. Not much time has passed but I can firmly state already: it works! You are all great. I tried to be relaxed, changed my attitude towards long tones, included Schlossberg lip drills (for some reason 27 studies... takes ages to be delivered) in my practice (continued with Clarke as well), played high notes without tonguing, rested as much as I play (just rested I must confess :). And I can feel improvement in my tone and range, though of course it's a long way to go.

@Returning players with similar issues reading this thread
    You better pay attention and follow advices from guys in this thread. It works!

4. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Oh I see, thanks.
    One more stupid question: In some exercises (eg 61) Schlossberg writes "Each phrase legato then the entire bar legato under one breath". Does he really mean whole bar should be played 2 times under one breath?

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm guessing he means to just do it once with one breath. I'm not looking at the book, but you just do what you can for now and work on stretching the range and breath control as you progress.

6. ziggy2172

ziggy2172 New Friend

Jan 3, 2016
    I am trying to get back into it as well after many years off. I never learned the correct techniques when I was a student and just wanted to play as loud and high as I could...LOL. Now, 25 years later, I have no one to impress (but myself) and am trying to unlearn what I have learned, so to speak. Anyway, have you ever checked out "Mystery to Mastery"? There are a lot of free videos and tips. I ordered his online book which includes a built in metronome and sample videos as well as an area to take notes to track your progress. Here's a link to his page. Might be worth checking out. Best of luck! Yamaha trumpet artist Greg Spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook for beginner trumpet players who are learning how to play the trumpet this online tr

7. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Thank you Ziggy. As first impression, videos look great.
    Good luck!

8. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    OK, thank you

9. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Thank you. Added "Warm-ups and studies for trumpet" to my wish list on amazon. How do study Arban oneself without spending extra 40 bucks?Is it possible?

10. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    ... and there are very positive review on Amazon. Already have a lot to digest. Thanks for pointing it out though