Practice Techniques

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joshua712, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Joshua712

Joshua712 Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    Hello! What are some good practice techniques that you use or have heard of? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Tell us some more about yourself, how long have you been playing, what is your standard and your interests? Until we know there is not much we can recommend.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Joshua712

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    I am a senior in high school, I have been playing for almost 7 years now, I am preparing for the second and hopefully third stage of TMEA All state process. I practice regularly and with good discipline, looking for maybe some new ideas to maybe solidify or improve etudes that I've been working on since July. I plan on auditioning for a college studio next year, and pursuing a minor in trumpet performance. I hope this helps give you a little snapshot of me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All your life long: long tones, slurs, scales, and etudes from such as Arban's. Too, keep your instrument as clean as your body and as well maintained.

5. Joshua712

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    I agree completely, and I keep strong focus on my fundamentals. I was more wondering about practice techniques for working on specific pieces of music not playing in general.

6. Hotair

Hotair New Friend

Feb 8, 2013
    Oregon
    Hi Joshua, though normally I keep my eyes open and fingers quiet on this forum, I'll jump in. A few things that help me. First, if I can listen to a recording of a piece I will, and the best quality one I can find. Second, do not practice mistakes. If you are repeating the same error, slow it down, get it right, then speed up. Or get help from your teacher or band director. Remember, poor posture, poor breathing and tension are mistakes. Third, and learned this at a masters class with the Presidio Brass, if a phrase is challenging you (they most all challenge me!) start at the end, learn one measure or convenient grouping at a time, then keep adding to it. Usually by the time I get the front end, the back end is pretty solid. This little thing has made my learning much more efficient. Hope this helps or starts a discussion that helps, there are those here much more knowledgable then I. Enjoy!

Brian

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Good solid air support! All is simply said above! Good luck on the audition

8. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    As a guy who has been playing the trumpet for almost the same number of years that you have, I would like to suggest practicing out of famous method books, such as Clarke Technical Studies and Schlossberg. The great thing about the Internet is that you can browse them for free by googling them ;-)

9. gwood66

gwood66 Piano User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    You indicated that you were looking for practice techniques for working on specific pieces of music. I would recommend the following technique:
    1. Review the piece and make a list of all of the specific fundamental skills and techniques that are required to play the piece.
    2. Assign yourself exercises out of method books (Arban's, Schlossberg, etc.) that are designed to improve those techniques.
    3. Record yourself playing the piece, then play it back and critique yourself. Identify and work on areas for improvement.

The method of learning the piece backwards noted in Hotair's post is described in detail on the Jeff Purtle's Website.

https://www.purtle.com/claude-gordon-practice-routines-the-brass-herald

Here is a thesis paper I stumbled across that also describes the technique I described.

http://www.lib.iup.edu/depts/musiclib/timothy.stevenson.thesis.pdf

JRgroove likes this.
  10. gwood66

gwood66 Piano User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago