Practice time...when your horn is off-limits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ursa, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Due to a double hernia suffered Thursday, I am not going to be able to play any wind instruments for the next several weeks.

Does anyone have any ideas on doing any sort of practice routine not involving the trumpet?

For now, I'm focusing my efforts on working out some tough pieces on the organ. I hope J. S. Bach is not listening in as I blunder away at his masterpieces...

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You might try the pencil exercise. I don't do it, but have heard that it can help.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The pencil can keep most of ones stuff together for 4-5 days (I use it up to maybe 15 min/day). You can also finger scales and practice articulation like multiple tonguing.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I got too a double hernia last wednesday ! So... Hospital next july 9. Right now I am not very careful and go on playing the trumpet, but only pp and in the medium/low register ! After the operation, surely two weeks off, and I'll blow again, begining slowly. Two weeks more and I'll play higher and louder than never ! When is your operation ?

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I would suggest doing nothing until you heal. I would however log a bunch of listening time. Listen to as much music as you can.

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'm sorry, I got about 50 more years till I get there, I would try the pencil exercises as everyone else says, My (current) lessons teacher introduced me to it, and it works really well, its detailed and gives you specific times of length and all of how to work it. Oh! When I had my wisdom teeth taken out last summer I tended to do light sizzleing and fingured music, um I also periodically buzzed my lips with little air, just to keep the buzz goin. I know wisdom teeth doesn't relate to a hernia that well, but I guess it can't hurt :dontknow: I'm far from professional so you may wanna disregard what I put down.

7. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    I have had 2 hernias in my groin repaired one at age 29 and the other last summer at age 54..the surgery this time was so good compared to 20 years ago I was only off the horn for 5 days..I did not push the upper register..just played nice and soft and easy for a couple of weeks till I got the ok to resume regular activities..that was about 3 weeks...

8. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    Also.. i played wearing a hernia aid for a lot of years... but be careful..

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I haven't tried it yet, but a friend of mine has the P.E.T.E. from Warburton,and raves about how it's helping his range and endurance.

10. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston