Practice time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    all right, my range is f sharp to above the staff c... how much should i be practicing if im a sophmore... i have a couple band classes at school but out of class, what should i do, i just purchased one of the new arbans, so that will be nice, but how should idivide up practice time?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you are really serious about the trumpet then find a good competent private teacher and then practice as much as you are told and do what the teacher tells you. Nothing replaces a private teacher and personal practice.

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    practice as much as you can without hurting your lips or progression. an hour or so a day is a decent number. i myself practice about two hours every other day.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A good private teacher will keep you from practicing bad habits that can cause a lot of problems. At least an hour a day or more. remember the more guided practice you do on a daily basis the quicker you get better.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have to ask the question, then you are probably a second or third trumpet player at heart (they don't need more than a C above the staff anyway), so an hour a day will get you by.

REAL first trumpet players realize that there is no limit to how far you can go - it is just a matter of the intelligent investment of time. I was doing 3-4 hours of playing a day when I was 15. I could taste it. It wouldn't let me go.

Good luck!

As far as dividing it up for practice sessions under 2 hours:

1/3 long tones and slurs
    1/3 tunes
    1/3 technical studies

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    yea...

Ouch rowuk... yea that makes sense... idk... im not gonna go ballistic and say im an amazing trumpet player... cuz i know im not... yet, thats why im here... my stamina is really low, i can go about an hour straight and break for about fifteen minutes... i just found that as i was practicing my chops started going out... which is BAD... so i wanted to know what was good, i love playing, so dont get me wrong, its just that i wanted to know when i should stop, should i keep pushing myself?
    again im not gonna lie, last year as a freshman i was 1st trumpet in my schools intermediate band, but now im in the advanced band where im fourth chair out of five, of course its like a junior and a senior in front of me, things are weird for me right now, and thats sort of the reason i came to this site, was to learn about what im passionate about. yea my range is average, and maybe i asked the wrong question...
    and no, im not taking private lessons yet, this is kind of a transitional period for me, and i guess im kind of confused...
    btw thanks for the time division thing rowuk...
    and i know the feeling, but it just hit me recently, the want to make music, that drive, there is know real way to explain it or teach it, it is just there...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Practice time is very personal. Basically, don't do any more than you can physically handle. Also, don't let other parts of your life suffer because you feel like you HAVE to do 3+ hours of practice a day. It's not worth losing friendships and dealing with health issues. Do NOT practice when you're fatigued. You don't make progress. Rule of thumb is that you rest as much as you play. Remember that the best players in the world are also some of the most balanced people. Music should enrich all parts of your life!

Right now I do about 3 hours a day individual practice. Add on to that 3 - 4 ensembles at 4 - 5 hours a week each and I keep pretty busy on the trumpet every day. As a sophomore in high school, the best thing is to set a short-term goal, and do what's necessary to achieve it. If you want to be first chair in band, then tell yourself "I'm going to practice X minutes every day for X number of days and win that chair!" If you get a good teacher and you find a healthy practice routine, I promise that things will just start to fall into place. You'll be amazed with what you can accomplish.