Practice today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Manny,

I am just sitting around practicing, and was wondering, "I wonder what Manny is practicing today?" So what did you work on today?

Matt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TH,

I worked in this order: About a minute on Cichowicz style expanding scales, Chromatics with a metronome, Clarke's second study at 144 accenting the first of every four notes, opening to Marriage of Figaro in 12 keys at 144, Goldman 2 and then 1 at about 92 then 100, Arban's 148 at 104-108-112, 2 studies out of clarke's characteristic studies, worked on a few pasages from La Virgen de la Macarena. Unfortunately, I had to cut it short to take care of life stuff.

ML

3. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, so now I have about twenty minutes before dinner so I'm going to pick up my C trumpet since I haven't played it in about three weeks. I've been playing nothing Bb, D, piccolo, and cornet. I'll probably pick up the Honneger Intrada to blow the dust out of it.

ML

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, you see...? I got in about 10 minutes on the honegger before my daughter knocked on the door and said "Are you ready yet? I'm hungry... we're ready to go..."

Women.

Honneger went fine.

ML

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very cool you mention the Goldman book. I absolutely love those studies. Really great for fundamental "nuts and bolts" technique, like pgs 20-33 in the Arbans.

Best,

T

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Stance, stride, and swing... fundamentals. Without your fundamentals it's very hard to work out of a slump. You're right on, Trent.

ML

7. trumpethack

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for sharing! So how much time did you spend on that first section??

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Hack,

Thanks for asking, Manny thanks so much for answering, Trent et al thanks for your input.

Despite this thread not being long, it's very informative. I'm a "fundamentals" nut. 3 reasons I guess: 1) my teacher was, 2) I started trumpet playing late in life never playing in grade, high, and college schools so I really need the work, & 3) I'm convinced there's no reinventing the wheel.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TH,

I dunno... i wasn't watching the clock but probably about an hour including breaks. I'm not sure what "the first section " means but I assume the first post.

ML

10. trumpethack

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yea, I meant the first post. I don't watch the clock either, I was just wondering "ballpark" how long that took... I'm a nerd I know...