Practice today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, I started at 8 with Yellow Bird, chromatics at 144, and Clarke's 1st study at 144... all at about p to pp... 10 minutes... I'm taking a 5 minute break and I'll start tonguing stuff at quarter after.

Well, I had website problems editing this so I'll do it AGAIN!

Basically, 2 Goldmans and a flex study based on page 44 of Arban adding another measure of 32nds. All at about mm=88. No louder than about mf.

I'm pretty much good to go so shave and shower, dress and get to rehearsal where I'll pick up the XLT Prana C for this week's program. Also some cornet, too.

So, at this point total face time is 20 mins before rehearsal and I'll likely play another 10-15 mins as I have two rehearsals, the second of which is Tchaikovsky 4. The first piece on the first rehearsal is 1812.

It's a good life, man.

ML

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I love this thread. Thanks for starting it, TH!

Manny, thanks for being so gracious as to continue it another day!

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Riddle me this please ML? Why does the trumpet world constantly harp on resting so much while practicing when in real life, the opposite is the case for the vast majority of players? In other words, in real life we are often faced with pacing ourselves and "making it through" while maintaining a fresh feeling and sound when there are no rests. :dontknow: I am just curious what your (or anyone else's) take is on this.

4. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    As Lloyd Geisler used to say, " when you practice, you are putting money in the bank; when you perform, you are taking it out." I took that to mean careful practice can give you the ability to override jobs that take a lot out.FWIW.
    Roy Griffin

5. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yea, thanks for adding another day Manny! It's very educational to see what a working and world class player does on a daily basis. Thanks again.

Mattt

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK

:shock:

That's pretty unusual, isn't it, not playing your C for that legnth of time? I'm Curious what you've been playing repertoire wise, if the C's been in the case. Would you be so kind?

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    My endurance is pretty good so when I get tired it's usually a result of bad planning or programming. I don't run into it too often but it usually happens when a non wind player does the scheduling. If I see that kind of thing happening I just discuss it with whoever is in charge to see if we can make some changes. If everyone is playing on abused chops it's going to sound terrible no matter what. Nobody wants that.

8. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    [QUOTE: Why does the trumpet world constantly harp on resting so much while practicing when in real life..........[/QUOTE]

Alex,
    Good question, I've never really understood that either.

Most of my gigs last 2-4 hours, playing an hour or so and then breaking for 15-20 minutes. But yet we're told to rest as much as we practice. I can tell you the rests don't equel the playing in the groups I'm in.

ML - what's the thinking behind it?

Warren

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, I'll take a stab at it...

I guess there's resting and there's resting. I don't believe in the "rest as much as you play" thing. That's not to say that it doesn't work, I'm only saying that a healthy set-up can take more than that. Sergei Nakarjakov was raised on a 9 minutes on, 6 minutes off approach. I believe that's good and helps a healthy player grow and get stronger.

While we orchestral players play less, generally, than soloists or chamber players we also tend to use bigger mouthpieces. So, it balances out. If we sit to play a Top Tones etude we have to have very good endurance to get through one of those two paged etudes.

It's funny... it seems like my endurance needs are different from week to week. Sometimes it seems like I have plenty of endurance and then I get through the rehearsal and really feel it. In a day or so I'm fine and no problems. So, you never really know until you get into the battle.

But as to the rest periods, it's such an individual thing I think everyone needs to set their own rules. Observe others, yes, but know yourself as well. Dave Hickman once said something very true about stopping to rest just before the point of exhaustion. In other words, don't wait to die before you stop.

Sometimes it's good to do that just to find your limits but you can't make a habit of it.

I think, to answer your question more directly, the reason you hear so much about rest is because the number of healthy approaches to playing is outnumbered by inefficient players. If you're inefficient, you get tired more easily, simple as that. So, more rest is a good idea until a player learns to play with greater ease.

ML

10. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Do you or anyone else have any more insight to Sergei's practice approach??