Practice today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    LOL... will do, Jeremy.

ML

2. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, it's Monday again and I'm earning my "24" watching by working on Ellen Taffee Zwilich's "American Concerto" which was written for Doc Severinsen. Cool piece so far. The first movement, which is what I'm working on right now is full of the sorts of perfect 4th and 5th intervals that give trumpeters fits. That's why it's a good piece to work on, for the prehearing technique that is crucial for us to play well.

This one's a good one to pick up if you're looking for a decent American composition that has range and interval challenges to work on.

ML

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I share people's opnion of the Goldman a really underrated book. Anyone else out there try his Daily Embouchure Studies?

I praticed today during prep, going through the basics in the Vizzutti books. Saint Paul Civic Rehearsal tonight.

4. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hello Manny!
    Thanks so much for sharing your practice sessions; they really show the true practice habits of a true professional. I was wondering what your practice set-up looks like?? I can imagine you have a music stand and a chair, but what type of chair??? (I guess it should probably be a throne fit for a trumpet player :) ) Do you have any other things in your practice room?? Oh and how big is it?? I've heard from players that a large room is best to get a feeling for filling up a hall, but then I've also heard that small, lively rooms are better for intonation?? Thanks!

5. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Manny,

How do you go about working on a new piece? Any little "Manny-isms" to share, or just good old start off slow and work it up...? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Matt

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ML

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ML

8. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Sounds good, thanks Manny.

Matt

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    This afternoon finds me playing the Art of Phrasing from Arban but using the C trumpet and not transposing. It's a good thing to do because those of us that know those airs and variations at the back of that section (not the ones at the back of the book) have an aural expectation that the C trumpet needs to live up to.

In other words, we're used to working on intonation from the excerpt perspective but I think this is more practical. You're more likely to hear the usual intonation hassles when you're playing a familiar song and you're more likely to correct it rather than accept it. Right now I'm playing through "Pilgrim of Love" and plan to try and finish the rest before I have to cook dinner (Rigatoni w/spinach, garlic, tomatoes, and feta cheese).

ML

10. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    The heck with practicing, what time is supper?

Warren