Practice today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Do you own a helicopter? You could make it if you left now... nah, never mind... I'm not saving you any, it's gonna be too good to let get cold. You wouldn't make it from Rochester to here in half an hour.

Hey, I had a great idea... wouldn't the top of Orchestra Hall make a dandy heliport? They could put a big Target insignia on it for the landing pad.

ML

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    haha... Wal Mart would get jealous :) .

Thanks for the info Manny!! Also, do you ever practice with drones to help intonation???

3. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Manny,

How much do you think you play in an average day? Obviously what you are playing in the orchestra will have an impact on that. One problem that I have alot is that during times that I don't have a lot of "important" playing I will practice alot everyday. But then when I have important things coming up like an audition or a big concert or recital I never am sure how much or how little to practice. I'm sure that I over think it, but it more often than not this seems to interfere with playing my best for the "event" whatever it may be. I don't want to over practice, but when I feel fresh I just can't seem to put the horn down since I want to keep preparing... Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Matt

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, not on any kind of regular basis, at least. I do it for fun because I just like to hear the overtones. I prefer playing duets with friends or students.

ML

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ML

6. trumpethack

trumpethack Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Massachusetts
    thanks

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It's Monday and I have off. That means I have my talk radio station on, I'm in the kitchen and have settled in for a nice day of practice, cooking, and catching up on world events.

Today I decided that the first session before lunch would focus on tonguing and transposition. I warmed up on long tones because I was thinking f you guys and a recent conversation about long tones. I decided I'd give it a shot for a few weeks. It's worked just fine but I have to be honest and say I don't feel any difference from what I normally do. I do find, however, that when I feel like I want to increase my strength, the long tones lend a little more focus, for what that's worth.

After a bunch of slurring around I went to the Arban book and started on page 26. Take the time to get the book, you might find this interesting. Fine, I'll wait.

Okay, I played nos. 13 to 27 at the written faster metronome markings and in Bb. No transposition. I took a little break.

Starting with #28 I started transposing each one, again, at the written metronome markings, whatever the fastest one was.

#28- Db trumpet
    #29,30- Gb trumpet
    #31- F alta trumpet
    #32- A trumpet
    #33- C trumpet
    #34- B trumpet
    #35-6- E trumpet
    #37- Ab trumpet
    #38- D trumpet

I see that I left out some transpositions (G, Eb, F) so, I'll find some way to cover those in some other studies in Arban.

I'm hungry. Time for lunch!

ML

Ah, me of little discipline...

I had a couple of handfuls of mixed nuts and kept practicing. I covered the missing transpositions with the Sachse book and went back to the Arban for multiple tonguing and single tonguing.

NOW, I'm ready for lunch. If you have any suggestions on solos to work on this afternoon, let me know, I'm open to suggestion! I have a Haydn to do soon, so, I could pull out the Eb and work on that but, like I say, I'm open.

ML

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I wish you could see the smile on my face right now...

I've been working on Ewazen, Honneger, and Hindemith. Care to join me?

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am working on Ewazen too...but not the same as you :bleah: ...I meant the Trio. I am working the 1st Bach cello suite as well, but still wondering if I should do the repeats...it is kind of hard to do them all on stamina level...Probably I should some some Caruzo :think:

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Manny thanks for posting. I very much appreciate getting to be a fly on the wall.

It's neat that as I look at Arban's beside me, I realize (again), Wow, I'm practicing some of same stuff great trumpet players practice.

Don't know why that should grant joy and inspiration but it does.

Robert Browning's Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp. Or what's a heaven for? comes to mind.

I like the Fraternity,

Richard