Practice today?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpethack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    We are staging a random leadpipe check, Mr. Laureano.
    What is this stuff in there...........mixed nuts?
    Sir, You are on report!

The Leadpipe Police :cool:

2. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    We are sending a representative to confiscate those horns as evidence.
    The Leadpipe Police

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, when the LP get here they'd better bring the fish-smelling hounds, too. I went and got some of that there store-bought sushi.

Hey, it's good in a pinch... Is there anybody on the board that makes their own sushi at home? At the store where I go they sell "sashimi" grade salmon and tuna. I guess more people are doing that at home now. It would be a heckuvalot cheaper.

ML

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Still concerned about THAT line.

There ARE young folks on here Manny. :noway:

-cw-

5. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    "Mixed Nuts?"

I think that describes this TM crowd....

"If you were a nut, what kind would you be?"

6. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    I make my own sushi on a fairly regular basis (2-3 times a month) There is a trombone player at McGill who was a sushi chef for a bit, and taught a few of us some of the goods (how to make really good sushi rice, what makes fish sushi grade etcetc.)
    The key to good sushi is tasty sushi rice. As you boil rice, in another pan mix a healthy helping of rice vinegar (1/2 a cup or so) with a bit of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 1/2 table spoons of sugar, along with a touch of lemon juice. These are approximate, and you can change it to suit yourself, but sweeter rice generally makes it much more enjoyable. Another common thing to do is boil the rice with some seaweed in it, adds a great flavour!

If you are at a reputable fish market, its safe to get fresh never frozen salmon and tuna, but for other things such as red snapper, oil fish, talapia or others, it has to be sushi grade which means

Fish either was frozen for 7 days at -5degrees fahrenheit or put through flash freezing, which is 15 hours at -30f. Sushi restaurants are required to have that sort of fish. Also, if you are making it yourself, and you get fresh fish such as salmon or tuna (this doesnt work with previously frozen fish, it will ruin it) put it in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes depending on thickness, so it is cold to the touch, but not yet frozen. the meat hardens just slightly, and then its easy to cut. If you don't do that, its hard as heck to cut nice slices.
    Its a bit cheaper, and once you get the hang of it, its tons of fun and really really really good.
    This has nothing to do with trumpet playing, but I love food, especially sushi! (its 2nd only to steak....but hey its lent. No meat or dairy is hard enough, forget the whole no fish thing!)

-Andre

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Is this primary branch of the CTU?

8. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    MAN........
    He's in there alone with the Arban book, mixed nuts and sushi. We might have to go to Code Orange!

The L.P.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ...and I'm back again.

This morning is pretty much to what I started with yesterday with a big exception:

I started the transposition immediately. The first group of artculation studies were in down a step. So, 13 through 27 were all in Ab trumpet.

The rest were all in Eb trumpet. Folks who say the Arban book doesn't provide you with upper register work have no imagination. I'm friggin' wasted.

Time for lunch! They just built a new Punch pizza in my neighborhood. Great Neopolitan pizza. They don't use tomato sauce, they crush San Marzano tomatoes and spread it with the seasoning and then the cheese and whatever.

ML

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc