Practice volume

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 25, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Usually, how loud should you practice? I usually play as soft as I can because my trumpet teacher told me so.

B15M likes this.
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    So if your trumpet teacher told you to do that why are you asking us? We don't know you or how you play. Your teacher knows best do what they tell you.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have a nifty SPL meter I got from Radio Shack and have found 80 to 100 db at one meter is normal.

Rather than how loud you are I would rather focus on how good you sound.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know, if one of my students started to ask around if what I said was OK, I would throw them out. It is like asking around if your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife is cheating on you. If you have doubts, FIX THE PROBLEM!

If you are not happy with the results that you are getting with your teacher, the first step is to look in the mirror-are you giving 100%? The second step is to discuss your goals and inability to achieve them with the teacher. If that doesn't work, then you need somebody else.

When I was in school getting lessons I used to brag about what my teacher had me doing. That is why questions like this make me SICK.

That is what SUCKS on the internet. The anonimity makes it "safe" for WEAK individuals to ask questions that would challenge true relationships. A good relationship can withstand challenges like this and grow through them.

So, you have my answer. GROW UP. You are one of the lucky ones getting lessons, develop that partnership with YOUR teacher. If you get 20 different answers here, what are you going to do? BE CONFUSED! Your teacher gives you time out of their LIFE. Make sure that that investment gets interest!

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If you don't like your teacher, or don't think they are doing you any good, then leave and get another teacher, or not. BUT....if you trust you teacher, then DO WHAT THEY SAY!!! Don't ask anybody else. If you're wondering about this question then ask your teacher "why do you have me practicing softly? Is there something I'll miss by doing this? Should I be concerned about xxxxxx?"

bigtiny

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In addition to Robyns statements, how selective were you in your choice of instructors? In my case, I was EXTREMELY fussy about who and why I selected any instructor for a subject as important to me as my music. If you were not extremely selective in your choice of teacher, why waste your valuable time and money on an instructor that ,'in your opinion', is somewhat less than satisfactory? If that instructor is less than satisfactory, why do you continue with him/her? The time that you are wasting with this teacher is not only yours. It is a total waste of that teachers valuable time. I could go on at great length about this, but, as a teacher, I am aware that in your case, my words would simply be wasted on you.

OLDLOU>>

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here you go, I for some reason always seem to be the opposite vote.

I can't answer your question. Your teacher is probably working on some aspect of you playing. There are a lot of reasons to practise softly.

Keep asking questions though. That is how you learn. When I could afford to take lessons I would always ask why. I respected my teacher and asked him first rather than the Internet people but, if I still had a question after asking the teacher, I would post a question on here.

I have been chastised on here for asking a question. Your not alone on that one. Even though people told me how dumb I am, I still learned.

Here is some advise for using the forum. Don't ever post that you are second guessing your teacher. Just post the question.

Had you just posted the question, I bet Robin would have given you an involved answer.

Good luck,
    Joe

8. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I didn't mean to say that I was questioning my teacher, I was just wondering about the general opinion of the rest of the world on practicing softly.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Joe is probably right. I do give involved answers. Even here because of the issues of trust and respect.

The take on volume is impossible to honestly answer without giving you a one on one lesson. If I have a non beginner that sounds like a wimp, I do other things than with players that have decent breathing and tone.

Our opinions on playing softly are extremely well documented. The search feature is our friend. I will just agree with your teacher anything they say after hearing you live is thousands of times more valuable than anything I babble.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ouch.