Practice wide open in silence !

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, Sep 12, 2011.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My neighbours are great people, I live in a side-by-side duplex. I practice in the basement, and I’ve told them that I will not practice past 8 PM in the evening. With my schedule this can be trying at times to get everything done and my routine done by 8. I do have a quiet mute that I use if I play past 8, and even though the mute can have it’s advantages, the back-pressure sometimes gets annoying, and you just want to play “Open”. So I went to the store and bought a good-sized plastic storage bin, and a roll of 2 Inch thick foam. I lined the bin with the foam and cut a hole in the end of it, so I can get my bell into the bin easily.
    Taped the box to a music stand and positioned it so I can easily put the bell inside at my normal playing position. Geez, my better half can’t even hear me when she’s just above me in the living room and I’m playing wide open downstairs. Plus the horn plays with Normal backpressure ! I’ve read lately by a few of you that you find it hard to find a place to practice and not bother anyone, This is the ticket to wide open playing with no worry about bothering the neighbours. Now I’m wondering what it would be like to record this way placing the mike inside the bin, talk about a flat signal !!!! I will try recording soon to see what it sounds like. Just thought I would pass this on to those who worry about bothering neighbours.
    I need to give this thing a name !! Mobile studio….trumpet silencer….Practice box….Padded room for trumpet players !!! ;-)

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I like practice box ;-)

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    ANYTHING that allows a player to practice without a mute is a blessing...... congrats on a good idea. Where was this idea BEFORE I started building my "Practice Heaven" shed???:dontknow:

Could have saved me a small fortune ....

Turtle

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would steer away from the "padded room for trumpet players" as that doesn’t do much for trying to convince all those none trumpet players out there that we ARE actually sane. I like the concept of the trumpet silencer; perhaps with a more flair though: "Bond, Harry-James Bond"; or 007 License to play!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Share a picture.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Turtle, you were one of the posters that made me start thinking, yours can fit a whole band !! (Thinking......this is new for us trumpet players!!! ) :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    with HJ name on it, you may have some copyright issues to sell it..however, the 007 license to play seems interesting...

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Saxists use a " whisper mute " that is a plastic case that the sax stays in that is acoustically padded with 2 hand holes to reach in and the mouthpice just sticks out. Honestly though, the sax players I know just practice in the closet. I'd hate to be labeled a " closet saxist " though. hmmmmm

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    One thing I forgot to tell you, Ya don't need to wear hearing protection to practice with the Practice box. :-)

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

What got me thinking about a better place to practice trumpet is the fact that I can play or practice my acoustic guitar almost anywhere, at nearly any hour, without disturbing anyone. In fact, in all the years I've played guitar, I've never really thought about it. The freedom this gives a person to develop a full bodied sound in a relaxing manner shouldn't be unique to guitar. A trumpet player ought to be able to get in their time of practice without having to worry about others.:dontknow:

I've been down this road with other instuments (drums being the prime example). A lack of space to open up and develop your sound is detrimental to one's growth as a musician.

Turtle