Practice wide open in silence !

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, Sep 12, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    "Practice box" gets my vote!!

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Band IN A Box has been taken....

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What about "Practice Box"? If that doesn't work out "The Trumpet Silencer" is not a bad number 2 choice.

4. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Brass Box Boogie :D

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like the Brass Box Boogie. I WAS going to call my shed the Turtle Shell, but this is better.

"The Brass Box Boogie .... Abandon all hope (and clarinets) before entering." :-)

Turtle

6. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    "Playing trumpet is no harder than praying in the Spirit"
    - Maui_Jimmy
    :p; Lol

7. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Depends how much money is available and if you have a basement.

The perfect solution might be a light wooden frame large enough to house a band, lined with cardboard then a 2 inch thick layer of foam followed by another layer of cardboard. The cardboard - foam - cardboard sandwich makes an acoustic deadening material but the inside surface reflects sound inside the structure making the structure acoustically live on the inside and acoustically dead on the outside.

Add several loose slabs of 2 inch thick foam that can be re-positioned inside the "shed" to act as acoustic baffles to adjust the acoustics for best response, similar to what they do in a concert hall and you have a fully adjustable acoustic practice space.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I used a product I found an Manard's a National Hardware store chain when I sound proofed my basement music room many years after this thread was started. It works very well. It is made out of blue jeans (shredded... perhaps of dead rock stars... I don't know) but it works really well. It specifically states on the role of material that it is specifically made for sound proofing. But don't forget to use it in the ceiling studs as well as the wall as the sound leaks in all directions.

Her is the result after putting up the dry wall and slat board:
    [​IMG]

9. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Years ago, I built a similar box made of 3/4 plywood, 18"x18"x3ft, lined with 4" insulation, with a large hole at one end for the bell to enter. I tilted it over and propped it up on a small sawhorse so I could sit in a chair in normal playing position and practice my heart out when I lived in apartments. It worked really, really well, but it weighted about 70lb. Not easy to move. I like your idea. If I did it again, I would probably just get a garbage can and line it with insulation.

Nowadays, I have built a practice booth. 6ftx6ftx7ft. It's made of 2ft wide panels that I can attach to one another with slats on the outside. One of the panels is hinged to be the door. Each panel is 2x4 construction, with 1/2" drywall on both side, and insulated. I deliberately left leaks in the seams so I wouldn't suffocate. I can practice 24/7 without bothering any sleepers in the house. And if I move, I can disassemble it (which I've done). Not pretty, but it works.

-John

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And why would you want to perpetuate an alternative fact like that??