Practice with a cold

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Labidochromis, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    I had my first lesson with a Trumpet teacher on Tuesday and it was great!

He gave me some studies to do out of the Arbans book, Technical studies for Cornet and Rubanks; all with specific objectives.

There is a lot of material including some melodic stuff largely to keep me busy as we are not able to get together for another lesson for three weeks or so. I had a great Practice session on Wednesday before My Karate class and it was good, I sounded good, the exercises were a reach but were coming along. Now I have a cold, cannot play as it is hard to breathe, throat is bad etc.

Last night I did some mouthpiece buzzing to keep everything in working order but not for too long as my wife looked as though she wanted to slap me. I got out my Arbans book and a metronome and started practicing the stuff I don’t know in my head with the metronome focusing on sound (in my head), timing, breathing and fingering; all without the horn. This worked beautifully as I need to work on my sight reading and this helps me make sense of things, best of all I didn’t need to stop and rest!

I have a whole weekend likely without the horn unless I am feeling a little better.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to practice when you have a cold and cannot play?

How do you keep in shape and productive when you are knocked out?

Sniff.

Help.

Cheers!

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    if you can't blow just practice fingerings and memorization. i just got over the flu and couldn't play for a week. not much you can do when you physically can't create any sound.

3. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    Been there dude. I used to have hay fever real bad, sinuses would be messed up bad for weeks, sore throat, the whole nine yards. Hot liquids helped the throat, and Vicks helped with the stuffy nose. Other than that I just tried to play through it. Some days were better than others.

If you think that's bad, try playing with severe muscle spasms in your back. I haven't been able to stand up straight since last Sunday. A chiropractor didn't even help. Feeling a little better now but still very stiff. I sure feel it when I try for the upper register. Hopefully I'll be able to play in Church this Sunday.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you have congestion, playing the horn is going to literally "blow your mind". There is no cure for the common cold. Start using Cold Ezz NOW or one that is similar. They are zinc based products that supposedly cut the time of "misery" in half. Drink lots of liquids like Gatorade to keep yourself hydraded.

If you need to do some playing, do buzzing exercises on your mouthpiece. This is important--> When you are well, wash out your mouthpiece with soap and water and swab it with alcohol. If you played your horn, run a swab soaked in alcohol down the leadpipe.

Get well my friend...

5. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Life is never a straight line!

When we´re "off", the break it causes
    just might be the break we need!

Once OK, we´ll come back with even more go in us!

Don´t worry, be happy, Labidochromis!
    We´re all doing OK in a long run term . . . :thumbsup:

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I generally recommend people to not play (if they can get by with it) if they have a bad cold. I've heard, (but can not substantiate) that depending on the illness, blowing the trumpet could effect the fluid in the ears.

7. SilverHorn

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I read that too Markie. Said something about possibly damaging the ear drums.

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
  9. SilverHorn

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
  10. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    Well, still feeling like $#@[email protected]$# and I just tried the pencil method, only thing is is I did 3 sets of 1minute each with a Sharpie marker. It s heavier by a lot and thicker but tapers at the end, the taper is nasty, makes it hard to get a grip on the thing.

The top of my chin feels like my quads do after a hundred lunges haha; I don't think I will be telling my non trumpet playing friends this. They might think it's rather odd.

Great suggestions by the way, I likely needed a break anyhow as this week has been kind of nuts. Going to keep doing what I can without the horn for a couple of days; buzzing, Sharpie exercise (I may need to buy a pencil the mechanical one is heavier than the Sharpie marker). My sight reading needs lots of work so it is time to focus on that, with my Sharpie close by!

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009