Practice with a mute bad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GuyMcPerson, Feb 7, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The most important part is that you practice, period. There are ways to optimize your practice session and of course it is always best to play in a room with decent acoustics to get sound production, ears and brain synchronized.

Get into a band as fast as possible, then you have enough to balance the mute work!

2. CmeBme

CmeBme New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Ca.
    I am a return player and use a wah mute too sans the small cup. Partly to reduce volume (IE:bothering those in the house) but also because I like the tone. I played all through school so know what my horn is suppose to sound like but never used anything beside the cheap cone mute back then. I do play with out the mute when ever I can though.
    I'm thinking about trying to build a Silent Brass type mic'd mute. I am also a guitar player and have an extensive signal processing rig and home recording studio. I want to figure a way to use those FX to completely harness the trumpet sound for a full processed tone. Might like it, might not. But I have plenty of mic parts to assemble something basically for free. I've heard that Yamaha mute mic is pretty cheap. I have a Crown 311 that the head set fell apart. That is a very high quality mic. Should work.
    Any one ever make something like this?
    George

3. GuyMcPerson

GuyMcPerson New Friend

Dec 29, 2008
    Hey all, so I said it was partly for the sound, well in fact I got the mute mostly for the sound, but I thought it couldn't hurt to use when roomies are around.

I still get a lot of good practice time without the mute when the roomies are gone, but like to use it when they are around.

Also, I am in a band (although probably not the same sort of band you might've been thinking of) which I currently play sax in and am already working in some trumpet parts to it. Although the unveiling of said trumpet parts will definitely not come until I am a better player.