Practice with Leadpipe

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 11, 2015.

1. Garrett11011

Garrett11011 New Friend

May 13, 2015
    Buzzing on the leadpipe, (aka foghorn), is a great way to begin a warm up. Foghorn is usually the first that I do in my daily routine, and I have found with several of my peers that foghorn actually does help with tone production because it helps to find the center of the horn. Foghorn is also a great way to get the blood flowing. I think that buzzing is really only good for one aspect of playing: training the ear. You do NOT play like you buzz, so that's why I think foghorn is more beneficial in preparing for a day of playing. Not to say buzzing isn't, it's just my personal opinion. Like the post above says, go and google search the Bill Adams daily routine. He talks about buzzing on the leadpipe there as well if you don't think my information was very plausible lol. Good luck man!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    I personally found practicing, warming up with leadpipe very confusing for my embouchure and did not help me. I talked to my teacher and asked for advice and finally I kept my daily practice of buzzing the mouthpiece to warm up: long notes, intervals in "legato" style, scales and singing short tunes and then repeating them on the mouthpiece making real music as much as possible.... Something I find just impossible to do on the leadpipe!... Just my experience... Kind regards!
    BernArt

3. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with BernArt, but was with a female trumpetist last weekend who hasn't played for a long time so I let her play the extra one (Olds Bb) I brought to the performance in case something happened to my Bach Bb. After a while of playing very well she took the mouthpiece out and said "o, wonder if I can do this?". I told her "no I tried". About 4 seconds later she started playing out of the thing. Go figure.

...o, and for your purists she was playing "music" out of the thing~

4. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    The video that I referred to earlier discusses using the mouthpiece to play just on the lead pipe, with the tuning slide removed. It sounds like what you described here is playing the horn without a mouthpiece.

5. PelicansRule

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Correct. I was unfamiliar with the terminology but know what playing the lead pipe can mean. WOops.

6. PelicansRule

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If we're talking about the same thing, Doc Severinson buzzes his mouthpiece only during his warm up and he said he uses a tuning mechanism to make sure he's on tune so when he puts it in the horn he's still blowing the same notes he thinks he hears.

It's on his video #1 "Doc Severinson Clinic" on youtube.

7. BigDave

BigDave New Friend

Aug 9, 2013
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Just to expound on Vulgano Brother -

Those who purport leadpipe buzzing are essentially using it as a tool to find the center of pitch. Every 'tube' has a harmonic series, including the lead pipe(and mouthpiece, but it's way up there). When you find the notes in the harmonic series of the leadpipe, and find the maximum resonance there, it helps to (theoretically) translate that resonant center of pitch to the rest of you playing. You want to play with the horn - and the physical laws that govern it - as much as possible.

As it turns out, many like it, but it was not for me. It looks good on paper, but, as was mentioned, everybody is different. Also, some people like to play on differnt sides of the pitch. Some think 'center of pitch', some think 'up to pitch' some think 'down to pitch'. I think (and play) up.

Vulgano Brother likes this.