Practice Woes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHSBrass, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    Hello everybody,

Over these past few months I feel like I have been making solid improvements in my playing. At the end of November I decided to change my embouchure due to excessive playing in the red. Although my range ( Which was pretty solid up to D ) has only partially returned to a A, my sound has improved dramatically along with my endurance.

The problem i'm having is sort of a dilemma, If you feel that your chops are being over practiced, how do you prioritize what to practice to keep them in shape while they heal up. By this I mean my teacher always talks about how you need to do lip slurs every day to keep the chops vibrating properly, but at the same time I feel I need to cover long tones, tonguing, scales, etudes; it always seems the list cannot end on which to practice.

The long story short, I feel my lips are starting to need time to recover but I want to keep my chops ready to go for our band's performance at the MICCA festival, (Playing Pageant and Alleluia Laudamus Te, two great charts). What should I practice to keep them in shape but not hurt them before festival?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No one here can give you such advice without hearing you and seeing you. You mention your teacher, but is this a private teacher or something else. If it is a privare teacher listen to them and do what they tell you. If not you probably need to get one to help you with your embouchure change, air, etc.

3. BHSBrass

BHSBrass New Friend

May 20, 2008
    I have a private teacher and yes that is the one I am referring to, but i'm not asking anyone to help fix my embouchure, i'm asking for ideas and consensus on what the best things to practice when you're embouchure is weaker than usual but you still want to get the fundamentals in.

4. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I find the best thing to do when your lips are weak are work on what is strong. I think doing double and triple tonguing excersizes on low notes would be beneficial. Keeps your chops working and helps your tongue. Hope this helps...

5. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Cover all the bases - just do a little less of them, and back off the range -- for example, if you would normally do lip slurs up to high C, do half as many, and just go to 3rd space E or top staff G. You don't always have to be pushing things to make progress.

GT

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My suggestion is just to practice softly. 3 hours of piano is possible even if you are in the middle of an embouchure change. It is just critical that you do not beat your face up. Your present routine (assuming you have one) at pianissimo is more than good enough to prepare you for ANYTHING coming up. My students have a balance of 1/3 long tones and slurs, 1/3 tunes and the last 3rd technical studies! an hour of practice works out to 3x 20 minute sessions (with breaks in between).