Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jimi Michiel, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Andrew,

I'm finding that as I progress, more and more of the problems I have tend to be addressable off the horn--specifically hearing where to place specific notes in a harmonic context and rhythmic/pulse issues. Do you do any practicing off the horn? Recently I've gone back to the solfege and rhythmic training that I did during my undergrad as part of my practice routine. I'm curious if you find basic musical exercises a necessary part of your routine. Some of my classmates, and now some of my students, just seemed to "get it"--it's like they're born with a great sense of time and pitch. Others really have to work at it. I think I'm in that second group and it really shows when I'm not contently working on and maintaining those skills.

Thanks,
    Jimi

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sight singing and singing the things I have to play are quite helpful to me and many other's when it comes to centering my playing. Please remember trumpet playing is much like singing. If you are a member of ITG there is a wonderful article in this month's journal about the similarities.

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    are you Andrew McCandless?

4. stuartmack18

stuartmack18 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    thanks for the help :)

5. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    tatakata, you're such a smart*ss, I love it! LOL

6. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi Jimi,
    Sorry for the long delay.

I think that it's a great idea to practice off the horn. I do several things that don't involve the trumpet. Here are a few of them.

If I have to play something that has a lot of fast multiple tounging I will spend a lot of time working on my tounging away from the trumpet. I work on improving speed and also where I want my tounge placement to be. One other benifit is that I increase my tounging endurance so that I am able to multiple tounge for longer.

I also like to use wind patterns, especially when I am coming into a difficult passage that would cause me to have too much tension in my body. Blowing through a phrase without the resistance of the trumpet is helpful to get a good feel for what you are going to play and how you should play it.

Another way that I practice away from the horn is rhythm practice so that I am not pounding away at my face while learning rhythms.

And lastly I really like to sing although I'm not particularly good at it. Singing allows me to work on phrasing, again without tiring myself out. It also lets me work on ear training while I'm at it.

Hope that is helpful.

Best,
    Andrew