Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BruceGrain, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to set up a practice rotine and what should be in it???

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes -- you should have the fundamentals of the trumpet in there. Scales, tonguing, lip slurs, rhythm, soft long notes, a couple of songs, etc. Since you didn't elaborate on what level you are at --- I might suggest Arban's book. If you do 5-10 minutes for each section, and REST in between (take the horn off the face and rest as much as you play) --- I think you would be in the right direction --- EVERYONE ELSE ON TM WILL ALMOST ALWAYS CONCUR WITH THE NEXT ADVICE -- umm go get a teacher --- yeah where is your teacher, and what does he/she advise you to do??

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Check out this suggestion:

Trumpet Practice

Most important thing in your practice routine is to play music

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would say that one lesson with a great trumpet player could not only tell you what to do, but also even more importantly HOW TO DO IT.

No routine is worth anything unless it is properly practiced. I have had many students come to me for help. It is incredible how BADLY even simple long tones can be played!

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This is great advice. The "HOW" is so much more important. In addition, this is where a teacher can help.

Back to the original question, here is my routine. With guidance from my teacher, it focuses on music, embouchure, and skills.
    - 20 minute on a maintenance routine (some might call this a warm-up)
    - 30 minutes of music
    - 30 minutes of embouchure building
    - 30 minutes on skills

Mike

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll just say my practice sessions last only one hour, two sessions per day. Each session is divided with 20 minutes playing, 20 minutes rest during which I listen to an audio feedback or study what I'll play in the last 20 minute segment. Otherwise, I'm fast wearing out my second copy of Arban's, the latter a platinum edition. I just finished my morning session, the first segment on trumpet, and the last segment on euphonium in which I recorded a solo of Silent Night.

7. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    I sure get a bunch of great feed back when I think I am asking a dimb question.

Bruce

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Never practice. Just put yourself in places where you can enjoy playing the trumpet. The more you enjoy yourself? The more you will play. And consequently the more you will improve technically and the more you will improve musically.

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I'm not sure I disagree with Local 357, and I'm not sure that I agree with him either. When I was playing 4 hours a day I almost never practiced. Once in a while I would take some time to work out something I couldn't get immediately, but by and large I did rehearsals, played gigs and jammed once in a while. Had the best endurance, best range and best technique I have ever had. These days I'm not trying to make a living with my horn, do one or two rehearsals a week and have a performance every month or so. So I suppose I practice more than I used to; but in one respect I do very little more than warm up every day--30-45 minutes of scales, intervals, lip slurs, long tones, etudes, etc. Sometimes I work on range or tonguing; but not every day. Then there's 15-20 minutes of playing songs--some because I just enjoy playing them. Some because a performance is coming up. Some just because I'm playing with them (how many ways can you play Funny Valentine?).
    So, I suppose your "practice routine" should be based on your deficiencies and your goals. What do you need to do to become the trumpet player your want to be.
    One more thing--I may not be as gung ho about lessons as some people are. Early in the process I took lessons, I had good teachers; but all that stopped when I was 14 (I also had lessons when I went to college after High School, but that only lasted a year). After that I learned more from guys I was playing with and guys I was backing up than I ever did from the lessons I took. I will say that if you can't figure it out on your own lessons are usually necessary.
    Just my experience--others have been different--yours surely will be too.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Arban's is the standard. Herbert Clarke technical studies also good for advanced studies.