Practiced with my fluegel horn this morning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Sep 28, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Since I have that nice Buescher fluegel horn, I practiced with it this morning. It uses a cornet mouthpiece and I have one same as my trumpet piece.

What an interesting experience. Since the tone is so radically different, I found myself concentrating on the tone less and more on just being consistent in tone, and accurate with my pitches and articulations.

The intonation of my fluegel horn is the same as all of my other Buescher horns, so that wasn't a factor, yay.

I think I'll do that once a week on Fridays henceforth. Lots of fun. Fridays are also my "play music, not exercises" day.

Tom

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    interesting --- as my community band has a composition with Fluglehorns -- the guy sitting next to me asks --- "ken did you bring your fluglehorn, tonight?" -- in which I replied. "yeah, like it's a solo and who brings their flugehorn to community band anyhow" ---so the guy whips out a Fluglehorn, and what else can I say?
    Apparently the conducter wants any(and all) of us in the 3rd trumpets to bring a flugle if we have it, and play the solo!! -- GO FIGURE, now I got to dig that thing out of the closet!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    It sounds like you've got an awesome new toy, Tom. Congrats again...and keep up the playing.

So it's "Flugel-Fun Friday," eh?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HELLO!! -- ya man, what a different beast my Yamaha flugle is ---- the concert band piece only goes to the F on top of the staff. The trumpet is "a piece of cake" -- and my Flugle --- "it's a piece of work" to get just that F to sound good. hmmmm, I wonder if I should practice on the flugle more ---- 1st time I've played it in many months!!!!!!!!!!!
    like you said -- it is an interesting experience --- so I hear ya man!!!!

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    This comment isn't aimed at anyone who's posted so far, but is a general observation.

If you are going to perform on flugelhorn, practice on it.

That may seem stunningly obvious, but I've known too many big band trumpeters who only played their flugelhorn on gigs. And it was obvious. One nice thing about the big band section I'm currently a member of is that we can all pick up our (cold) flugelhorns in the middle of a gig, and when we play the intonation is quite good. The reason being that we all practice on our flugels and know their tendencies.

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    To really do a flugelhorn justice you need to develop a mindset different from when you play trumpet. Play less aggressively with more control, relax, and don't over-play. Nothing is more disappointing than to hear a trumpet player grab his/her flugel and play with exactly the same approach. Personally I'd rather play flugel.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That's the way I try to play my trumpet!

Seriously, there is nothing mystical or magical about cornets or fluegel horns. You play any individual instrument how it wants to be played. You want to play a fluegel like Maynard, go ahead, I don't care. Any of the "it's supposed to sound like this" stuff you hear is just one person's preference, or perhaps a style such as British Brass Band.

Just play it well. :-)

Tom

8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Kingtrumpet-Yeah, every now and then folks do bring a flugel to Community Band. Actually, it happened just because the CC Jazz Ensemble (which is more of a community Jazz Ensemble, not many college students in it) has rehersal right before Concert Band and the lead player still had his flugel with him. Wasn't called for in this particular piece, but the range was such (down to a low A or G) that he thought it would sound better on flugel. The director makes no comment. Being a trumpet player himself, he knows better than to start something with his trumpets. He's learned to just let us do our thing and interfere as little as possible. I was playing my Committee cornet and the resultant duet was very nice. We played a piece last year that called for the principal trumpet to play a flugel solo (Acrostic Song from Final Alice). It happens, just not expected. And I agree, just play the horn the way it wants to be played and don't try to force things. It's a partnership between player and horn. No fun when you have to force the horn to do something it just doesn't want to do.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So are you suggesting to be frugal with a flugal?

Frugal: avoiding waste; sparing in their use of heat; stinting in bestowing gifts; thrifty:dontknow:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My opinion: The Flugel should do what the music inspires it to do. Check out Woody Shaw's Rosewood. For years I was wondering what trumpet he was playing. Turned out it was a flugelhorn. Sounded so much like a trumpet. He won a Grammy with that album. Some posting here would have not considered it not worthy of the flugelhorn. Thank goodness the Professionals at the Grammy Foundation felt otherwise.

Discuss:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012