Practices for better tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tone is not something that a player who doesn't know what that is just "works on". We can work on our breathing and technique but developing a better tone comes from comparison to other players. I play duets with my students. During lessons, we play longtones together (two different tones at the same time - helps intonation too!). I often play a tune first and let the student repeat it. If I play with a full sound and add a crescendo, the chance of them doing the same is MUCH greater.

When a band director says to work on tone, it is also an indication that we are playing "naively". We are not thinking about the notes before we play them and not placing each one. Some sound weak and airly, others sound simply puked out.

I think that you need outside help on this. Find a duet buddy, make also sure that your teacher is playing during lessons. Emulation is the key and that HAS TO BE A ONE ON ONE EXPERIENCE! No CD of a great player can teach us to get a better tone. It can help us discover style AFTER we know what to listen for.

2. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    My Director told me that I had the best rhythmic accuracy when compared to a set of other players, but the worst tone. He said that I need to work on building my air support, especially on quiet notes, and that I also needed to practice with a tuner/do lip bends to improve the steadiness of my sound. I was wondering if any one had any useful exercises beyond the ones I mentioned in my question.

3. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    I use a Yamaha 7F4 for flugelhorn (I think its is equivalent to a bach 7C), and am quite pleased with it, but I play a Yamaha 17B4 for trumpet (about the equivalent of a 1 1/4C(Just in case you didn't know already, the larger the number, the smaller the mouthpiece)). You can find many resources online to help you make the decision (http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6001 Bach Mpce Manual.pdf this is a link to the bach manual) but, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, if you aren't practicing at least 30 minutes a day, I would stick to something closer to a 7C (aprox. 16mm diameter) you may sound better on a larger mouthpiece, but it is hard on your lips without consistent practice.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    1. Play louder. Practice MUCH LOUDER.

2. Develop breath control.

3. Practice Clarke Technical Studies. Each exercise many times on one breath. Technical studies for the cornet - Herbert Lincoln Clarke - Google Books

Even if you never develop an ear for music the three above ideas will do more to improve your tone than anything else. plus they are simple things to do. Fairly easy too but mostly just simple.