Practicing everyother day.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, Apr 5, 2011.

1. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    I have always found that instead of focusing just on embouchure strength and rest, it is best (for me at least) to focus on having a proper balance between air support and embouchure strength. If the chops are getting tired faster than I think they should, I focus attention to my breath support. After a while it becomes second nature to balance and not fight them. The tone should tell the story. If the sound is very airy, or lacking depth, I try to focus the air better, if it is too "fat" and there is no brilliance to it, maybe put more air into the instrument. I find that for the chops to work properly for me, it is all about the balance.

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Wow! Pretty good thread. To reiterate, I am in my 73rd year, 6-7 years recovered, and rest is what it is all about. Can I still get through a big band concert of two, 45-min sets? Yes. Am I dogged at the end? Yes. Can I get through 3 big-band, dance band sets? Yes. Again dog tired. Should I want more than this? I don't think so! So, I think it important to decide what level one is going to be satisfied with. For me, an oldster, I am happy to maintain what I have and an hour or so a day gives that to me. But I still have to consider how I practice (as everyone above has mentioned), and I still find that with continued daily practice, I sometimes need to take a day off. It is, after all, just another muscle group that needs to be carefully looked after and needs time to recover.