Practicing for Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Obviously, endurance is a frequent topic on TM. I believe I know the basic principles for increasing endurance (long tones, lips slurs etc.). I normally practice in 2 or 3 sessions throughout the day. I do not not often practice at the same time of day. Is it important to do so? Also another area of concern is that once school starts up again I will not have an opportunity to warm up much at all before the daily band rehearsal. Any recommendations for quick (five minutes tops) warm up? My normal warm up is 10-15 minutes.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Endurance is built over time by lots of repetitions of low impact exercises. Clarke studies work well. As far as warm up goes, I like the Heimat tone concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimat tone (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal." Just play your first tone of the day on your mouthpiece for a few days, check your pitch with a piano or your trumpet, and you've got your own personal Heimat tone.

Some players start their warm-ups on c below the staff, then work their way upwards, but that makes any thing above c below the staff a more or less a high note. Rather than starting in the lower register, consider starting at your personal Heimat tone and expanding from there. That gives us the feeling of having more low tones to play, and fewer high ones to struggle for. After a couple minutes of expanding from the Heimat tone, you should be in pretty good shape to play.

It is cheap and quick.

3. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Are you saying to choose any middle range note to become my Heimat tone?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    No. It chooses you.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Reading what VB wrote that is not what I understand - rather I think VB says to blow into your mouthpiece in some "medium" fashion, a bit loudly, which may buzz the mouthpiece. That note/tone would be the heimat tone which you can measure with a tuner or a piano. That note with the trumpet attached is your heimat tone. (I may be corrected by VB in this reading.)

I never did this - I just start my warm-up on G in the staff, going up and down semitones (half notes), holding them first as soft long tones then as louder long tones. Until I reach G below the staff and G above the staff. G, up to G#, down to F#, up to A, down to F, up to A#, down to E, up to B, down to D#, up to C, down to D, up to C#, down to C#, up to D in staff, down to C below staff, and so on. This only takes a few minutes.

If I am really short on warm-up time I buzz into the mouthpiece for a few minutes on my way to the venue (e.g. in the car) to get the feeling started. If you're in school, you could keep your mouthpiece with you and buzz into it between lessons or during lessons when the teacher isn't talking, holding a handkerchief behind it to suppress the sound a bit.

--bumblebee

6. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    After learning to free lip buzz and I now do that for a couple of minutes before I put the whole horn to my face. My 'home note' is now a 4th space C.

I generally work up and down chromatically from there so that by the time I am hitting a C below the staff I'm also doing the C above the staff as well. C-Csh-C-B#-C-Csh-D-Csh-B#-Bfl...........Doing it whole note/quarter note/ eighth note......... makes the breathing work as well as the lip.....

7. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Any thoughts on the importance of practicing at a consistent time of day?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Time of day practicing is more related to the muscle inside the skull (actually its a soft tissue organ called the brain, unless your KT and then it's call an egg). Look, muscle is muscle. I bet you walk in the morning, walk in the afternoon, and walk in the evening. Lip is muscle, it can play... in the morning... in the evening... ain't we got fun! And the afternoon too... so we are having a blast aren't we now?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm with bumblebee... who's sound I understand, floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. I bypass the buzz and go straight to a long note slur warm-up then into an octave slurring pattern. After that, I am ready to blow. Did this warm up this weekend for our 3 hour Friday evening gig. Eddie only gave us ONE break an hour into the gig. Endurance was no problem, thereafter and ended the night holding the last note for the evening out for several bars on the Bb just below double high C... long, loud, and powerful. Man I love the sound of that Bb bouncing off concrete walls, just as I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes -- I walk --- but my legs work better later in the day -- muscle may be muscle and such, but my muscles function better later in the day when they are warmed up and operating smoothly!!
    (uhm, Joe44 -- just warm up with a few notes, some long notes in the staff, a few scales --- for regular school band -- I am certain you will be fine (and practice whenever you want - you decide that, I don't think the time matters ---- except the amount of TIME that you practice)..

incidentally - I like VB -- but I think he is WHACKED on this advice --- just my opinion, don't send me hate mail --- it was just my opinion!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL