Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Hi. As I live in an apartment, practicing the trumpet is a very difficult thing to do if you care about your neighbours' well-being :lol:

For practicing drills, I have taken an unwanted dirty clothes basket. Then I put cushions and pillows and towels all around is and inside. Then I put my bell inside it and play into it. I put the basket on it's side in my cupboard on top of some chest of drawers. This dampens the sound a lot compared to nothing at all. I still suspect however that some noise carries.

2. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Best bet - although pricey is the NEW Yamaha Silent Brass System...
    Gen 1 of system was not so great, but the new one is excellent..doesn't wake my sleeping 3 year old...

3. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Thanks but in my experience using practice mutes of any kind are damaging to sound and intonation, unless used sparingly... I need to hear the sound come out to purify it. Although it is 15 years ago since I last used a silent brass... maybe things have changed...?

4. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Agree to some extent, as you really do need to play with the airflow unencombered.
    That said, the way the electronics work, you do not OVERBLOW to get the sound...that is the beauty of the new generation.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would make more sense to find another place to practice. Churches and schools are often very cooperative.

A practice mute or clothes basket really are not that much different in how they limit your playing. Success requires that we synchronize our chops, ears, brain and body. Any "damping" of the sound changes what the ears get which limit what the brain gets, which severely change what our brains tell the chops and breathing mechanisms

6. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    You're very wrong on that statement. Having tried with practice mute and then practiced into a dampening basket, the latter did not adversely affect my playing. I find that poor players prefer practicing in big halls with big echoes since they then fool themselves they have a huge sound.

7. terrys17

terrys17 New Friend

Jan 4, 2004
    There is a good video on youtube with Phil Smith demonstrating this very thing in a hotel room. Search on Phil Smith vienna

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know many poor players with access to big halls, I do know that that IS the best place to build a big sound however. Every symphonic trumpet player spends lots of time there and can attribute much of their sound to playing in that venue where they can properly hear what they are doing without overloading their ears. If I blow into a clothes basket, my ears get a "dull" sound that my brain will try and tell the face to brighten up.

If you understood how our ears work, you would change your tune. The first 10 milliseconds of sound (called early reflections by recording engineers - google it) serve to confuse our brains. Sounds after 20 milliseconds can be easily processed by the brain and allow us to build a servo consisting of play(chops/breathing)->hear(ears)->process(brain interpret)->adjust(brain control).

School band players often crash and burn on stage or outdoors because they are not used to the amount of support required in that type of acoustics.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Why are you asking for advice on several threads and then arguing with people that give the advice you seek?

10. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    When something is said that does not at all match my experience then I point that out.