Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would look in the mirror before talking about ugly. You obviously do NOT have experience otherwise you would know that what you are blogging is not even well founded opinion. Experience is when you learn something first hand that works. Fate is when you learn something that doesn't work. Conjecture is when you repeat something that you have heard but don't know anything about.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Well the second post suggested a NEW Silent Brass, for example, but you dismissed that idea.

3. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I do have experience of using practice mute or damped basket and the latter enhanced my playing while the former damaged it. I don't understand why you are trying to say my experience is not real. It is. I don't lie nor do I appreciate people suggesting I do.

4. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I am nervous of using practice mutes of any kind since it affects the pressure and you don't get to hear the sound out of the bell. Also there's that temptation to put the reverb up on the control panel.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Have you used the NEW Silent Brass system? Or are you just guessing?

6. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    No I have not used it. I used the one around 10 years ago. It's still putting a mute into the instrument which is going to be different from playing openly and that concerns me.

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I give up.
    You carry on playing into your washing bin and pillows etc. good luck with that.

8. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Sorry I don't understand?

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi x9,
    Yes, cramped conditions can make it tough to practice. Here what I've done in the past:
    1. Practice in the car
    2. Use a practice mute (causes some back pressure. don't use this exclusively)
    3. Playing into a pillow. I felt like that jerk, Chet Baker.
    4. Notcie the neighbor's MO and when they're out, you're practicing.
    5. Use a dampening ring
    6. Learn to play soft. What is soft? I need to be able to stand beside you while you play and talk to someone and not strain to hear or speak.
    Discovering when the neighbors were out and playing soft was the best of alternatives for me/
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

10. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    yes Dr Mark, I can empathise with your suggestions. I've not had complaints yet as I've got the padded basket and I keep an eye out for my neighbours' cars. Although if people are really serious about silent brass having changed then I'll consider ordering it to find out.