Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Actually to be fair on the previous version of silent brass - it didn't damage my playing. It was too much use of a normal practice mute that damaged my intonation and sound.

2. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    And hear lies my biggest gripe with TM, Facebook, and most "news" channels.
    People giving opinions of things they do not KNOW about.
    Then again, if no one did this, work would be a very quiet place.

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I have practiced in the car quite a bit on my lunch hour, but it seems to jack with my posture, and so my air flow. I've seriously thought about buying a bigger car, just for that reason. I even thought it might be fun to find a really cheap box truck on Craigslist, fix up the rear of it as a little soundproof studio, then I could drive it anywhere and play in air conditioned comfort and not bother anyone. Is that weird?

Lately I've been driving up to a little league ball field about a mile from my office and just practicing out under the trees while the weather's nice, and because nobody's ever there in the middle of the day. Not sure if anyone in the nearby neighborhoods can hear me, but so far no one's complained. Once a garbage truck came by to pick up the dumpsters, and they just looked at me funny. I smiled and waved apologetically, because they were emptying garbage and I was playing a trumpet, and so felt sorry for them.

Does make me wonder how far a trumpet sound carries in the open air. It'd be annoying as heck if you were out trying to do yard work on a nice spring afternoon, and could faintly hear some mope trying to play the same jazz lick over and over.

4. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    That's rather patronising. I don't have great experience with practice mutes and if I may take this argument further - I have not known of any seriously good player who uses one.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just to give you an estimate of how far the Bb sound carrys. I've been across the Potomac from Arlington National Cemetery as a patient at Sibley Hospital and distinctly heard the sounding of Taps from ANG while I waited for my wife to get our car and pick me up. Buglers at ANG use Bb field trumpets. That's more than 2 miles.

Here often I'll go 2 1/2 blocks to the back of Jackson Cemetery and play through some appropriate songs and sound TAPS. The back row is only about 50 yards from the front road, and there are 2 houses across the road and one at each end, the latter each about 300 yards from where I position myself. At these 4 houses, the occupants are at work when I play thus are not bothered. Those that are buried don't complain either.

To maintain AC in the back of a box truck, you'll need some form of petroleum fuel or solar panels on the roof to generate power for the AC, thus for your safety from carbon monoxide poisoning vent your exhaust vertical just as tractor trailer trucks do to keep the CO2 build-up out of their sleepers. Of course, the thrum of an AC unit defeats the quality of your sound that you'll hear.

6. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Hi, I have an iphone app that measures decibel levels and it reduces a lot when I play a note into my cushions

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi X9,
    You stated:
    "I have not known of any seriously good player who uses one."
    --
    I use one
    Dr.Mark

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not know any professional player that does NOT have a practice mute. I will simply assume that I know more professional players than you do as I play proffessionally myself.

The thread owner does not have any real experience with quality playing, has not taken a step back to figure out why and to date has only submitted very typical posting for that type of player. Instead of asking questions, we just get discussion.

The result: continued conjecture and criticism from those in the know that still care.

My silent brass or best brass practice mutes are one of the key objects for success during hard times. For the reasons that I have mentioned above, I do not recommend exclusive use. Typical practice should be in decent sized rooms to help build the servo control that I mentioned.

I take exception to members that feel they have to come to TrumpetMaster and post as though they had the solo trumpet position with the New York Philharmonic - when they have practically nothing. They fail to recognize that the players that do know better immediately recognize the "stench". Only on the web do we have this major lack of basic common sense. If this same player had a real lesson live with a good teacher, none of this crap would come up. As this is an open forum, we do not throw these people out of here. Normally they do get the message after a short while and leave - or start asking intelligent questions.

Towards the end of the school year, these members ALWAYS pop up and the MO is always the same. I have to admit, this type of member makes it very unenjoyable here as the opportunity to get better is simply wasted on those who do not realize where they are in the food chain.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, I can only offer to whoever in TM has this problem - come over to our place. You are free to practice in the house or the studio at any time of the day or night - we've already accustomed the neighbours to continuous din, with an opera singer voice-training three hours every morning, and giving lessons every afternoon, with me oracticing trumpet at all odd hours, and both working on trumpet/voice pieces at an time between nine pm and midnight, and , of course, a twelve-year-old doing his first steps on trumpet and his second steps on drums and voice... We can rent out a couple of bedrooms, and you can go to your work every morning... we even offer free airport transfer...

...rather tongue-in-cheek, as we are in Vienna and most of you elsewhere?

On a serious note: trumpet range can be amazing... every New Year's Eve, I'm in the habit of waiting for the midnight chiimes to cease and then play Amazing Grace to the world at large, usually on my Dowids Bb, because that horn has the best projection of all of my hooters. Last time, a few days later there was a short thing in the local newspaper "Looking for Mystery Trumpet". Someone in the next village (2 miles away) had heard a faint melody and was curious enough to inquire...

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This little beauty .....

Bremner Music - Home of the sshhmute

....works a treat without much back pressure - I used to use a Harmon and play with the TV turned up - no longer necessary, I can really stretch out, and I practice in hotel rooms a lot.