Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I've heard plenty of 'pro' trumpet players play and find they rarely bother to play high or have better playing quality than those found in amateur ensembles. You don't know who I've come across over the years and are making incorrect assumptions about me, which demonstrates to me you can't back up your statements without attacking the person.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    x9ret .. if I were you, I would
    ... go with Dr. Mark's suggestions ...
    ... think over anything Rowuk's suggest for a few days before putting out the gauntlet
    ... get Barliman's address and plan the trip of your life to Vienna
    ... ask the neighbors if they mind... it might not be a big deal to them

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you even had any idea what you were talking about, maybe someone here could take you seriously. I haven't read anything this ridiculous at Trumpetmaster in a long time. You reported the "offensive" post to me. My reaction is to ask you to read it carefully, make an effort to understand it before getting in a huff.

I have a much different experience with professional players. No comparison to amateurs and definitely the ability to place high notes where they belong. I am not attacking your person, only the stupid things that you are posting. Just because you haven't read the facts is not my fault. Don't take it personally, just stop posting garbage............ First warning from a moderator.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    LOL, for real!

The sheer ignorance and audacity of most of x9ret's posts are good for a laugh, if nothing else.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi x9ret,
    Unfortunately, rowuk is right. When you've played professionally for so long that it's just what you do and what you are known as, you can tell fairly quickly who is and who isn't BS'ing about trumpet. Heck, you can almost tell by the timbre of the post if the person is skilled or unskilled. What I like about this site is that it gives people of all ages who have question about trumpet an access to people that have been doing it for a looooong time. Sometimes we go a little overboard on our explainations (guilty as charged) but that's part of the growing process or at least it is for me. I can talk trumpet with just about any professional. However, can I explain and talk about the same topic to a 6th grader? That's where I'm learning to modify, water down, speak in human terms, "THINK BEFORE I SEND" all this high knowledge into a usable format.
    I enjoy helping people that are sincere but find it difficult when the person becomes combative and short when it's possibly due to a miscommunication or misunderstanding. Usually if I don't understand, I don't think about saving face. I think about asking the question again in a different way and if I come across in a way that offends (guilty again!!) I always try to apologize. This is a good site for learning pending the egos and face saving techniques are left at the door. My goodness!! Can you imagine if the egos of all these trumpet players were to be let loose? Not pretty... Not pretty at all!!!
    Dr.Mark

6. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I do. I don't need your approval of what I've experienced.

7. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    If I remember correctly you were posting garbage such as that playing into a damped basket was just the same as a practice mute. Clearly, even to a layman, that is highly inaccurate analysis and of course you have not bothered to apologise. Did you not get your scentific equipment out for that one or maybe you think arguing from 'authority' is sufficient when you speak.

8. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Yeah and I'm sure world-class trumpet players do spend an awful lot of time on internet forums posting advice and abuse for free too... oh wait

9. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    This statement is complete rubbish. Being a moderator does not change that.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ok, explain how you come to this opinion. If my opinion is rubbish, you must have a reason to think so. Why don't you explain from the beginning?

I explained why this is true in post #8 in this thread. It is very simple acoustics.

You can also explain why my being a moderator has anything to do with this. I did not learn the stuff that I post on the web. I learn it by doing it. The clothes basket has other disadvantages like comprimizing body use. Strike two.