Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    oh right, well they may as well sell it since earlier you said these people practiced in huge halls

2. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    A mute is in the instrument. This affects the feel on the instrument.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Where is the problem with that? A small room also affects the feel of the instrument, playing outdoors does too. The comprimize by damping the high frequencies does too. If I can sustain a professional playing level even using a silent brass or best brass practice mute (I am not alone here), I guess there is something that YOU are missing. That is nothing new.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The reason our artists in resident don't spend a lot of time here is the same reason that our former artists left:
    ignorant people like you come on here and start talking smack based on nothing. They get tired of it at some point
    and leave. So, thanks to people like you, the rest of us, who have been here for years, no longer get the benefit
    of reading and learning from some really great musicians.
    Thanks.

5. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    I know where I am 'in the food chain', probably somewhere around small mammal always on the lookout!

For what my opinion is worth when I am at work and I have 15-20 minutes of free time I like to practice with a Harmon mute, no stem. I try to play softly and find it doesn't restrict me in any way with whatever I want to practice at that time. When at home I just play...neighbours never complain to my face, maybe only to each other. People in The UK generally don't like to make a fuss!

Peter McNeill likes this.
  6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Arturo Sandaval does, and I'd say he is world class.

7. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    No it doesn't, it is simply a different acoustic.

I find your teachings contradictory. Earlier you (correctly) stated it's to do with brain interpreting the sound and adjusting. By practicing with a practice mute your brain is fine tuning your practice mute sound which does not apply to your open sound, where you will have to readjust and probably end up splitting notes as you're conditioned to practice mute playing.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    x9ret,
    Why do you continue to argue? You asked for advice and it was given by several people including myself. If what you're doing to keep peace with the neighbors works, cool! That's great.
    The bottom line is, you have all the control. You decide how you're going to approach this issue of how to practice in an apartment, right? Just think, you're fighting a battle with words and you are the only one that has the final say! Why fight when by default, you win? Possibly a new topic might be a good idea.
    Dr.Mark

9. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I am supposed to just nod my head when I hear contradictory or incorrect teachings?

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It seems to me that the OP is living under a bridge - just saying.