Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. cmg

cmg Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Michigan
    Since you are able to discern incorrect teachings in this discussion you must already know the correct way, so why do you keep trolling? By that token, instead of seeking knowledge here you should be delivering it. So why not start by telling us your playing background, how long have you been playing, what genres do you play, teachers you've worked with, students you have taught? I'm only here to learn, and my 43 years of playing in many different venues probably pales in comparison...so please do tell.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Once upon a time I was a college graduate with a Bachelor' degree in Education and accredited with certificates to teach in several states. I started teaching plane geometry to 8th graders and told them that a circle and a strait line do not actually exist. I've heard everyone from students to the Principal, Superintendent of Schools, and several members of the Board of Education tell me I was wrong. Well, we all were sitting in a room when I was being so berated and about to be fired. I jumped up and asked them to show me a straight line and a circle right then. Not one of them could, because they didn't exist anywhere around them then. That wasn't what I was about to teach the students, and not what I'll tell you now.

To you, nothing exists unless you sense it or create it. Now I'd like to pull out a map and have you draw a straight line from NY City to San Francisco that you could travel. It doesn't exist, and don't you dare tell me I can fly such.

SO; having diverted your attention, no music student will become a musician until they learn ALL they need to know, and continue to learn more. The cup is not full unless YOU sense it is.

tedh1951 likes this.
  3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi x9ret,
    You stated:
    "I am supposed to just nod my head when I hear contradictory or incorrect teachings?"
    --
    That's a great question!! Just remember, if someone is slinging BS, if you get involved, guess who else gets BS on them? It's called "by association". Do what I do. Distance yourself from the assholes in the crowd and focus on helping and learning. Throwing pearls before swine isn't very kosher now is it?
    No one has the right to argument on this forum. Just leave the stupid alone. You can't help them and (by the way) they arn't asking for any help either. Now, do I agree with rowuk? rowuk is one of the smartest people I know about trumpets. I've been performing for a looooong time and I still find myself without all the answers. When I run across one that I don't know, I ask rowuk. While you might not like his delivery, you might want to investigate the message.
    Some people do not suffer fools lightly. That doesn't mean their advice is worthless.
    Dr.Mark

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes. On an open forum where anyone, including rank amateurs like me, can respond with free advice. If you want great advice without the nonsense that often accompanies an open forum, consider traveling to and playing for a renown pedagogue and absorbing the cost that entails.

I know that when I post a question, 90% (no offense anyone) of the answers I get are nonsense or feeble attempts at humor (again, no offense anyone!), however the "correct" answer is almost always to be found in the responses. Keep an open mind and, like me, you may pick up a few things from time to time. I might suggest placing more weight on comments from those with experience, credentials, etc, but take what you want, leave what you don't want is my advice (take it or leave it) and best of luck.

Peter McNeill and tedh1951 like this.
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Fair enough x9ret. Please let us know your trumpet playing background.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    x9 just got a break to think about the difference between spineless and clueless. It is not permanent, has nothing to do with his person.

Maybe during this time x9 will take advantage of the vast resources here, get clued in to how a trumpet really works and temper his WebAcquiredOpinion based on misconceptions.

Any one that has spent time here knows that I do not like myths. We will see where this goes in two weeks. David and Goliath, hardly..........

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    At the end of the day, we are not living in the Apartment, and seeking good advice -
    Good advice is given for free, by the very best to help guide the OP. He can choose to ignore or argue for his own sake. I don't understand myself.

I am beginning to think like Ted.
    Good Luck x9

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Peter,
    there are many facets to practicing in an apartment. There are various solutions depending on our level of playing, the time of day, sensitivity of the neighbors, the atonality of what we are playing, the length of a practice session and the technical solutions like mutes or mufflers in the form of closets, clothes baskets or other contraptions.
    Working professionals have different requirements and possibilities than "weaker" players. Strong chops and a well defined sound concept has much more resiliency than you can explain to someone who has never been there.

My major thought on practice is as seldom as possible in deficient acoustics. Equal to that concern is preventing bad body use. A light mute allows the body use to match proper playing. A clothes basket must be suspended to keep our body aligned during playing. Consistent practice with deficient acoustics can affect our playing in proper venues. The weaker the player - the greater the toll? I think not. Weak players need any opportunity that they can get for additional building of playing patterns. A weak player in an exclusively miserable practice situation needs to pick a different instrument.

So, at the end of the day, x9 was in his own way, mixing up his personal requirements in several levels:
    1) communicative (ok, Who am I to call the kettle black)
    2) technically: here we notice a complete lack of understanding how the body and trumpet work. This is fixable-not by crusade, rather by reflection.
    3) Self esteem: when all others are spineless, qualified help is rubbish, pros not being better than amateurs, we have a big issue that the germans call "zwergkomplex". It means that we are obcessed with being biggger than we are.

The road to success for x9 or other members looking for answers to questions not yet understood is asking for clarification instead of branding help as rubbish with no adequate frame of reference. I personally believe that anyone can be successful in an open internet blog. That does not happen by redefining the community in the first couple of weeks.

I wish x9 a proper comeback -with spine and conviction but without the blindness demonstrated up until now. Trumpetmaster needs the whole crosssection of players, where each one of us understands what we can offer based on our own personal playing experience. YouTube and many virtual venues cause big problems for those not in the know. Prejudice, blindness and misdirection are inevitable. We need personal coaches, mentors and teachers to really objectively get sorted. Everything else is fruitless (exceptions do reinforce the rules however)!

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Nobody likes being told they don't know as much as they think they know.
    In this case x9 reacted in a childish way. I know, I do this myself, more often than I would like.

There is a balance to be had in these cases between letting the "insulted" party express their feelings
    versus maintaining a civil atmosphere for the members that regularly interact on TM.

You want to allow people to have their say, but when it goes on and on and turns into a "pissing contest"
    there is no point in allowing it to continue.

The people that generously volunteer to moderate TM do a great job of balancing the "freedom of speech"
    versus the need for respect.

Hopefully x9 can take this as a chance to grow and come back with a more mature view of what TM is about.

If one expects everyone to say exactly what they want to hear it would be a very banal existence, wouldn't it?

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gzent,
    You stated:
    "Nobody likes being told they don't know as much as they think they know."
    ---
    Wow, ain't that the truth! There's a common fallicy we all use called "The illusion of Knowledge". which basically says we don't know as much as think we know. Of course this is a handy thing to have because it helps with ego strength.
    Unfortunately, this "protective mechanism" can get in the way of learning sometimes, especially when a person is called up to defend a point of view and they lack the communicative skills to do so. What happens then? The ego becomes threatened and all hell breaks loose!! Nothing is advanced or learned.
    We trumpet players are luck in this aspect. We are not guitar players with hands firmly grasping the neck of a polished wooden phallicesque device nor are we the attractive singer in a country rock band that all the opposite sex wants to make babies with.
    Nope, we blow through plumbing. What a sobering fact and reality check!! Ouch!
    It's tough to feel high fallootin' and blessed with supreme knowledge when we know we blow through plumbing. So what does this suggest? Lighten up!!!
    Learning should be fun, frustrating, invigorating and always open to investigation.
    Dr.Mark