Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    In the vast world of mis-information, I have found some priceless info, advice and tips here on TM.

X9er, it seems like you want to argue with everyone, in all of your threads.
    I would suggest taking what is written, use your best judgement, and continue to learn.
    Not every answer is going to be right, and it's ok, just enjoy the FREE info and take from it what you like.

Enjoy TM, you will find out lots of cool stuff here (and some really bad jokes along the way.

coolerdave likes this.
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    This thread has had me thinking about the whole trumpet practicing deal ... I think the rule of thumb or consensus ( whether accurate or not ) is the more face time with the horn the better the playing ... the whole jealous mistress deal. So we practice in cars, closets, churches, hallways, with and without mutes. Some try to get more face time by buzzing at every opportunity ( how many debates have we heard on that one?).
    I am not even going to get into the different methods ... I just wonder how important is it really that someone understands why a process works ... yeah we get myths and I get a kick when I learn what I thought was way off .. not the practice routine by the actual reason for the benefit it provides. We know a routine works, for us personally, so an argument ensues over the why and if ...
    Probably has a lot to do with the players goals and proficiency.
    Just some thoughts

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Strongly concur. If we're going to continue to discuss all things trumpet, take a moment to post to the introductions/greetings forum. I'd be genuinely interested to find out a little about x9, the trumpet player.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, and it has been said "You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you!" It fits here as well, for all of us.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dave,

this is actually the core of my one on one trumpet teaching. I do not claim to understand everything that goes on, but the real deal is the integration of the body, ears and mind, not the isolated isometrics on chops or breathing.

We get "better"! when our breathing, body use, chops, ears and brain work together. Early in our development, we need MORE integration and should try to get as much time as possible in the most favorable environments. Once our playing becomes substantial, we have other opportunities to maintain and yet another subset to improve. Weak players on the other hand without well developed integration and sound concept will improve with pure face time but may never reach a high level of integration because too much is missing acoustically/technically. This may or may not be a problem depending on the goals/playing opportunities of the player.

If the primary goal is to not disturb the neighbors, the trumpet is the wrong choice to want to get good with. If the lowest common denominator defines our playing actions, there is little to talk about. If we define quality in terms of high/low or loud/soft we have lost before we even get started.

Mutes and mufflers will always be Plan B for anyone that places quality as the desirable trait. They are necessary for those times in between when there simply is no other choice. If a Jazz Player wants to be the best harmon mute player in the world, the mute could become Plan A - with the intentional reduction af open horn qualities.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    [Plan B] - So is buzzing.

For me if I can't play my horn in a normal room (or larger) what is the point? If one just wants to
    keep the chops in shape you can do that without even playing (a form of isometrics with lips) and its
    probably about as effective as playing with a muffler of some sort. Realizations like this take years to
    appreciate, unless you are a prodigy, in which case you compress decades of experience into a shorter
    time.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that this is a hard call because we have to consider each player, where they are playing and what "confined" playing means.

The better established the players concept of sound is, the easier it is to survive a break or comprimised practice. I have had stretches where I have been thankful for the practice mutes. They have never "hurt" me.

For players with little sound concept, maximizing face time will probably have the most positive results, even if the results are MUCH worse than if those same weak players did it right. Any of us that teach beginners are greatful for every additional minute that they spend on the trumpet. I firmly believe comprimised practice is better than none at all.

Perhaps we need a bit more creativity to limit the amount of comprimised practice. A barn, a church hall, a factory, a warehouse - there must be hundreds of "not too bad" alternatives. When I am on business trips, I ask the hotel if I can get a conference room. In the last 40 years I have been turned down once...... They prefer the noise in a controlled environment instead of next to other customers. I often get an audience when I practice nice to listen to stuff.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have an older gentleman living across the street from me. One day he told me he use to play trumpet and wanted to pick it up again. His wife bought him a cheap import and now he is afraid to play it because it has been so many years he knows it will probbaly sound awful. He keeps saying he wants to go out on his boat so no one can hear him. I have told him, not one person on the street has ever complained about my practicing so he should just go for it. He still hasn't. My plan is to show him the 19/30 warmup and play it with him to get him over his fear.
    Still, how many people worry instead of just asking .. like Rowuks conference room example.
    Side note .. I started practicing in the garage this past week, larger and more hard surfaces. It may be coincidence but my wife and the neighbor commented and how much better my playing was sounding this week ..... interesting.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ROWUK's concept is demonstrated quite nicely in a Swedish film from 2004 called As It Is In Heaven - it's based around the development of a Choir but I suspect that the principles hold true - and it's quite a fascinating film too.

coolerdave likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro