Practicing in an apartment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, May 15, 2014.

1. cmg

cmg Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Michigan
    So what, exactly, was Rowuk doing with a Swedish choir back in 2004? Inquiring minds want to know...! :roll:

On a more serious note, the whole body, breathing, mental balance approach permeates so many things. While throwing darts I find myself harking back to my days of target shooting (50 ft rifle, 10m air rifle) with the stance, relaxation and breathing technique, and the mental game of mind over body. To cross over once more, so many of these aspects are part of my trumpet playing, especially the pic! The only thing that doesn't translate is the "sound" concept!

Chris

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I just realized that when I get to Heaven, my trumpet playing will sound heavenly.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just watch the film Ed .....

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That is the one - some of my friends reckon I've changed their approach to music, it appears I've encouraged them to be 'critical' of a piece - and to examine the music and why it appeals. I think that has a lot to do with they way you lads and lassies have changed my way of thinking too - and I am definitely a better musician.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually my brother in law lives in Sweden and I do spend time there - musically and personally. It is VERY good for my sense of unity when I play directly on the lake to an island about 2 miles away. MUCH better than in an apartment................ or with a practice mute..............

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi rowuk,
    You stated:
    "Actually my brother in law lives in Sweden and I do spent time there - musically and personally. It is VERY good for my sense of unity when I play directly on the lake to an island about 2 miles away. MUCH better than in an apartment................ or with a practice mute..............
    ------
    I've done stuff like that. Have you ever timed the echo and make chords with your horn? If not, it's pretty cool.
    Playing out in the open is a neat way to listen and play. Just don't get eaten by a bear or a hot Swedish super model.
    Dr.Mark

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    closest I have come to that was playing my trumpet on a lake in Florida while in canoe .. at night :)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here it is. I have had this picture uploaded here for years of me playing to that house on the island.
    [​IMG]

Playing heavenly?
    [​IMG]

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    While teaching at a Protestant church music camp in the Bavarian Alps I played with the echos from across a lake, doing a Chase-like improv with echo before launching into A Mighty Fortress up an octave higher. The key to loud playing, I've found is to relax and listen to the reflections from the back wall. Hard to do in an apartment.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    You stated:
    "While teaching at a Protestant church music camp in the Bavarian Alps I played with the echos from across a lake, doing a Chase-like improv"
    ---
    Yes!! I use to do the same thing but on Chase's Open Up Wide. It must be true. Great minds do think alike! Damned, now I want/need to get back outside and play again.
    Dr.Mark