Practicing in school??? Should I?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Aug 2, 2007.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    My school has practice rooms and I was thinking that once a week I should grab lunch eat quick and head to a practice room to dedicate time to something (most likely a solo or jazz piece as it is now my ambition to learn 1 jazz piece a week/two weeks at least at a mediocre level and maybe buzz out a ska song or Peaches En Regale). Is this a good idea or should i just rest up and spend my time at home and maybe 15 minutes in the morning doing basic lip exercises and scales

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Why not every day? Then you might be able to learn the jazz tunes really well.

3. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    It depends on the lunch period if I have alot of friends in it I might only go a few days aweek if I have a friend or two I might go more often. I have to see the rules on the practice rooms as a trumpet isnt a 'quite' instrument.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The general idea is that practice come first, wherever that might be, whenever that might be; regardless of how inconvenient it might be. If you miss your lunchtime practice due to kicking it with your friends, that's ok, but you've incurred a practice debt that need be paid. :cool:

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    ha ha funny stuff. I dont even knwo if I am allowed to practice in the practice rooms as I think the chorus uses them as do the guitar and piano classes so this option might not be viable.

Also I have clinic in liek a week or so Ill be playing all day. Shoudl I even bother to practice? or like should I get up early go out side (bc they wont let us play inside) warm up do scales maybe go over a piece of music for abit. Im thinki though that ill be so exhausted from marching day in and day out. Thats why they call us the Northport Tigers we just own every one on LI, because we actually practice...

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Marching will give you a nice aerobic workout and mostly get your legs working (especially if you actually lift your knees), but your lungs, embouchure, and fingers will benefit if you spend 15-20 minutes on long tones and Clarke exercises either early or later before you turn in. You can even do them sitting down. Your bandmates will think you're nuts, or gung-ho, but you'll play circles around them in the concert band when football's done.

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    you forgot rear backs

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    A warm up in the morning before practices start is highly recommended. Do you have a private teacher out there? A good one will set you up with a good routine.

Jordan

9. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'd like to start by syaing.... SKA RULES!
    Secondly... I'd say take maybe more that just 1 day a week if you can/want. So, yes, yes you should practise in school.
    For ska, try to learn Eeverything Went Numb by Streetlight Manifesto, it's a good test of range speed and endurance.

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    When I was in high school (way back in the days of 8-tracks and AM radio) I was a very busy kid. My favorite time to practice was at lunch because it was not very long. I got to school early in the morning and went into the band room. I got there so early that my band director eventually gave me a key so I swould not have to stand outside in the cold waiting on him (can you imaging that in today's world???).

I'm one of those people who has never needed a long warm-up, so I could use the before school and lunch periods to work on stuff from my lessons. I hated practicing at home because there was always soemthing else I should have been doing (like homework), and I also had afternoon and evening jobs.

So I think lunch practice is great. It sure helped me, and it also shows your band director how serious you are. BTW, I'm a band director and I open the band room for lunch all the time. The kids love it and I have a chance to work with them on parts of the music that they might struggle with!