Practicing in school??? Should I?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, Aug 2, 2007.

1. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Ha ha. Actually I am learnign that song right now. I just worked threw the first solo, and i have it memorized. I have been cheating though on the end of it instead of going from D to D i go D E (note I forgot at this moment) D. Its cheating though I figured out the notes in between the octave I just need to speed it up abit.

Also at this moment in time I am teacher less... I need help with that because the one I had can 1) no longer play and 2) is retiring. SO any suggestions for the Long Island area? preferably Suffolk County close to the Huntington/Commack/Northport area

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  2. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    That is the best I have ever heard it put.

Well said

3. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Not to sound pissy, but... if you have to ask, don't bother.

4. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I used to practise or have the horn on my face every chance I got in High School....not much has changed lol. It drove my other bandmates nuts, but it didn't matter to me. The Bandroom wasn't a social place for me during lunch, it was another chance to shed the things I failed at that day. It got to the point where the bandroom had "quiet time" so I just locked myself in the storage closet and played in there. Don't let anything stop you from you goals. If you're in a big city, why not hit the busy street areas and play on the street with your case out for money. Hey, you're getting paid to practise, at least that's the way I look at it. I had a man throw me $10 one day into my case, and all I was playing was arban's characteristic study #4.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I agree. Practice all the time. Patrick Hessions practiced all the time.

6. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Hey, folks! Can we help this kid find a teacher in the Long Island area? :-)

7. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Their are a couple and I think I am goign to go with the more jazz oriented one, but i am up for suggestions. Thanks. Its kind of unfortunante for me though, I feel I am losing alot from the lack of private lessons, ive been trying to get my mom to make the calls but she says she wants to wait till september.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Lessons from a good teacher are very important, but waiting until after marching season to start might be the better investment. Marching band is one of the places that focusing on making any sort of technical and musical changes in our playing is almost impossible, and most new teachers will want to change something in our playing.

You could even tell your Mom to wait until after marching season for getting you lessons and spend the money she saves on herself. It might be worth a few missed curfews down the road!

9. Dustin

Dustin Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    West Virginia
    I'm also a high school student, and I warm up every morning at school when I get there, and I usually shed through lunch (it's right after my band class) and usually try to grab something to eat right at the end of lunch. Practicing like this, along with my private teacher, has helped me to improve a lot. I know I'll have specific time to practice every day, and I usually decide during the morning what I want to focus on. Getting in a routine like that will definitely help you out.

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Nice to see this sort of exchange. Does my heart good.

Dustin, a '62 Connie -- nice -- don't take any flack from your buddies at school because its a vintage, and to my eye, don't sell her