Practicing on other mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Aug 18, 2013.

1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Hello, just looking for an opinion on playing on a different mouthpiece while my staple is being re-plated. Turns out I do not have another one of the same to use while it is out. Do you think playing another piece in the mean time would screw up my ambuture? It should be back from Anderson in 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I play trumpet, cornet, flugel and tenor horn, all on different sized mouthpieces . While it may not suit everyone I don't find it any big deal. It must be better for you to play on another mouthpiece, than not play at all.

Sethoflagos likes this.
  3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    True, another mpc is better than not at all. One that is somewhat close wont kill you for a while. You must have liked it at some time or you wouldnt have bought it in the first place. Dont over analyze, there are children in Ethiopia that have no mouthpieces at all. Best wishes.

4. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Thanks for the input. I guess I must be old school. All I can remember is my instructor saying pick any mouthpiece and stick with it because you can screw up your ambuture if you don't, but its good to Know that my lips won't explode if I do.:thumbsup:

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I have several different horns, each I like for a different purpose. Different purposes require different mouthpieces. I can feel the difference between them when they first touch my lips, after blowing two or three notes I can't feel any difference at all. Must be too busy trying to play decent to notice. But after a couple of hours...they all hurt. ;-)

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Embuture = Embouchure

Keep playing trumpet, and don't worry about it. You could tell us what you have been using, and what choice you have now to play.

The common message here - keep playing.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I go from a very old flugel mouthpiece, it looks more like a French horm piece, to a cornet mouthpiece, to one of 2 trumpet mouthpieces, (one an assymetric) without problems so go for it, play and stop worrying

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That makes two of us that play multiple type instruments, but add on my picc and F mellophone and exchange your tenor horn for my euphonium. I may not have achieved symphony quality in my playing these, and except for the picc, none are pro quality, but I'm having a heck of a good time, even now with my health concerns.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not that often do I play them, but I can "make do" on a Lead 342 Assymetric and a Parduba HJ 4.5. Shucks, I can "make do" on a Bach 7C, when I'm tutoring beginners, still if I had to play a Bach I'd prefer my 6 which I've not read that any other TMer uses.

10. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    My mouthpice that I sent out is a Martin 7, the choices that I have to play on here is a Bach 3C, a Bach Mt Vernon 7B, and Yamaha 7c or Yamaha John Walace. The John Walace Yamaha plays a lot softer but has a similar funnel cup. Thanks