Practicing on other mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 9horn, Aug 18, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No.

2. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Can you get to the point!ROFL

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I switch mpc's around depending on the sound I want to get out of the horn I'm playing. Doesn't hurt me at all. And like others have said, I play multiple brass instruments.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    We're trumpet players. We live in fear every day that our lips will explode. :-)

But I agree with the consensus. Find a mouthpiece that is similar to the one being plated, and go for it.

Mike

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Prior posts present a clear consensus that mouthpiece constancy is not a requirement for continuing improvement and that the OP should simply select a mouthpiece from those he has and practice - a position I also subscribe to. Beyond this, however, I believe there is an advantage to not getting committed too strongly to a single mouthpiece. We trumpeters seem naturally inclined to obsess over equipment even to the most minute details, all the while knowing that most listeners will never know the difference nor care very much. Versatility and adaptability are qualities we should strive to develop along with everything else we seek to perfect. These qualities eliminate excuses and build confidence, it seems to me.
    Jim

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, Have you seen a psychiatrist about this? I know of a great psychiatrist in the Baltimore area specializing in labialphobia. Should I send in a consult?:-P

7. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Labiaphobia is in the Urban Dictionary, but it has a slightly different meaning. ;-)

I can't see a psychiatrist. I'm afraid that any sudden movements will set things off. I fear that the only way to prevent detonation is to keep doing long tones. :-)

Mike

Sethoflagos likes this.
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No problem... I'll have you pink slipped in a jiffy!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh Mike, You missed an l... but you'll have plenty of time to find it in that nice quiet room with those soft, white padded walls when they put you in your "comfy" zone.

10. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes, Dr. O. Break out the haldol.

Mike