Practicing on two different horns...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by atripp87, Jan 29, 2010.

1. atripp87

atripp87 New Friend

Jan 29, 2010
    Hey!

Question...I've got a yamaha pro horn and then a smaller 1970's benge...i'm in college and have to usually go to a practice room to practice. I have a silent brass system so i can do some work in my room as well, but is it a bad idea to split the playing between two different horns? My only concern is that the benge is smaller and might give me a false sense of where i'm at compared to the yamaha. Is it a bad idea to practice on a horn different from your "primary" one?

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    No, look at all the legit players that regularly use different pitched instruments. Lots of players have one setup for lead/commercial work and another for "legit" playing. Just make sure that you do practice on both and think twice about taking one on a gig that you haven't played recently. (or bring them both so you aren't stuck with a bad choice).

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ed is right. A consummate player is not a "one trick pony" but an all-around player who can handle anything. A good race driver can drive any car - not just his main one. A good basketball player can play with any ball and make any shot. Etc. Etc. I have at least 6 horns out at any time and will rotate through them as I practice. Even at band rehersal, I will swap horns just to keep fresh on all of them. So, figure out which one works best in which setting and then use them as appropriate.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My answer is 'somewhat' different. I carry a reserve horn to all rehearsals and performances. I am not alone in this. Many of my pro friends do likewise. On one occasion, one of these guys was doing a church performance and prior to that performance everyone who was going to perform was called into the pastors office for a short prayer. My friend foolishly laid his Strad on the slope topped pulpet and when he came back to the sanctuary found his horn on the floor with enough slight damage that two of the valves were sticky. Fortuitously, he had a spare horn in his Jeep Commander and could continue with the performance. If he had not been comfortable with his 'spare' Taylor trumpet the performance would have been jeopordised.

OLDLOU>>

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Many of us who do orchestral work find that depending on what piece and style of music you are doing another horn will either make it easier or will sound more in the period of the piece. So yes, we use multiple horns at times. If you haven't worked with them you can easily get lost when changing instruments.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are practicing enough, you get used to it, if you aren't, there isn't anything consistent enough to hurt.

All of the stuff that makes you better does not care what decent instrument is attached to the front of your face. Rejoice in the fact that you have 1 more horn than the mojority of other trumpeters worldwide. Practice enough to do them both justice.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    In an interview with Jeanne Pocius on OJ Utnes' website, she remarks that while studying with Mel Broiles he gave the advice that you should line up all your trumpets and mouthpiece you use on a table.
    Pick up one mouthpiece and trumpet and play an excerpt, study, solo etc...then pick up the next combination and play the same things. Continue with each combination until you've used them all and MAKE IT SOUND THE SAME.
    The entire interview is here The CHOP DOC Speaks
    Thank goodness she was not injured (or worse) in the Haitian disaster.

Rich T.

8. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    Two is not enough. You need more.[​IMG]

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Always... need ... more ... horns.... and ... more .. mouthpieces........... :)

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Uh-oh! I've been doing this all wrong, it would seem. I line them up and play them all but in my case, every one of my trumpets sounds exactly the same. So, I have been working very hard to make them sound DIFFERENT. I want to be able to play different sounds in different settings and I am not having much success with it. Should I not be trying to do this?