Practicing on two different horns...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by atripp87, Jan 29, 2010.

1. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    Finally, you got the hint to cure your n+1 virosis.
    Since every horn should now sound the same, you don't need them any more. Just keep the best ones and play that sound and be happy! :)

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    If Maynard could practice on a Baritone, Trombone, Flugel, Trumpet and sax, you should be fine. :)

3. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    NO self-respecting trumpet player plays only one horn. You can NEVER have too many trumpets.:D

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Amen to that. Just be sure that you are giving your best performance when it counts and you dont let down the others in the group by horn switchin just for the sake of variety. Have fun. Best wishes.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    One week into lessons I asked my teacher the same thing ..... Yes, it's fine, he said. Not too sure if it's also good to use 4 different MPs (I've been playing for 6 mos) but I do it anyway. I play all 4 every day and 2 or 3 different horns as well. Doesn't seem to be stalling my steady progress but at my stage, every combination sounds different.

Turtle

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    :)

I would say that there is a point that Jeanne was getting across - you want to be comfortable enough on each horn and mouthpiece such that "your" sound is that same on all of them. That said, there will/ought to be/should be the differences in sound that these different instruments and mouthpieces are intended to provide.

I typically play 3 horns everyday, 2 Bbs and my flugel. I have 2 mouthpieces for my flugel - one for section work and one for solo work.

I have 3 mouthpieces: one for lead, one for mainstream commercial work, and one for more legit style work.

I play on all almost all of them everyday. The only instruments I do not play everyday is my picc and cornet, and I would if I had the time....

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Exactly. The instruments will sound a bit different, but you will still own the sound of each and be comfortable with them.