Practicing on Vacation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oreoflake, Aug 15, 2010.

1. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    I'm 16 right now, and I play trumpet in my school's Honors band. This year, I went on vacation for a week in Bermuda via cruise, so I couldn't practice for that week. When I came back and started up practicing, my tone and range died. I have it back now, mostly, but I'm going to NYC for a few days. My family is staying with a family friend, and I won't be able to practice because I'll disturb them. Is there a way to keep my tone/range/ability there without disturbing people? (Besides a practice mute...) When I get back, I have this brass ensemble that I'm a part of and I don't want to be the lagging link :dontknow:

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Just take your mouthpiece with you?

3. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah, I've thought about that. Is there anything specific to practice?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NOTHING replaces practice. Period. If you are not spending time on the horn (especially at your age where positive habits do not have enough years to carry you through), you will be the weakest link. Even as a high school kid, I never had the impression that people were disturbed by aspiring young instrumentalists with a command of the instrument. They were always VERY supportive.

Take the horn with you!

5. Alan1

Alan1 New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Nothing is as good as the horn in your mouth. But sometimes there are compromises you can make. I take a 3rd rate horn with me so I don't care as much if it gets scratched in travel. I also use a mute. There are many practice mutes to choose from and none of them really are a perfect substitute for actually playing. Your intonation, how hard you blow to produce a note etc are all off. But they are all better than losing your chops. I practice scales, lip slurs and, if I have time, take some music with me. Even if I just play "air trumpet" my reading ability advances. I've done this in many hotel rooms and have never been asked to pipe down. If a trumpet wont fit then get a burp. They are cheap, give some back pressure, quiet the sound of a free buzz a little and are great for a giggle to your hosts. They will at least give your lips a workout. Have a great time in NY

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    If it is choice between playing with a mute or not playing at all, a mute would be better. Check out the Tumcor lyric stealth

https://www.trumcor.com/shop?product_category=Trumpet+Mutes

I sometimes play with one very late at night when my wife is with our baby in the next room and she don't hear anything. It isn't the same as non-mute playing, but its better than nothing.

PS - I grew up in Bermuda and have fond memories. Did you enjoy the pink sand beaches. I spent a lot of time at Horseshoe and Elbow beaches when I was your age. (mid 80s)

Craig

7. oreoflake

oreoflake New Friend

Aug 15, 2010
    Thank you for all the advice! I ended up bringing my mouthpiece, some CD's, and my Arban's. I'll probably stumble back to the hotel later in the night after a busy day, so I'll squeeze in some practice on mouthpiece and fingering. I will also look into a practice mute, as soon as I find a job...

Craig- Bermuda was so beautiful! I went to both Horseshoe and Elbow beaches.

8. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    Buy a Yamaha personal studio, I spend hours playing into mine, when every one is asleep. Moderately expensive, but well worth the money.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Do you really lose that much after just a week off? I just came back from a cruise vacation and while I lost some focus and endurance, I'll be back in the groove in a couple of days. Then again, I've been playing for almost 30 years and I'm not still developing my embouchure - at this point my embouchure is what it is, for better or for worse, and taking the week off didn't hurt it that much.

Get a Warburton P.E.T.E. and take a mouthpiece at the very least. Take a beater horn and a practice mute at best. 15-30 minutes a day with those things can keep your chops from deteriorating too bad. Remember here that quality beats quantity any day, and some basic expecises will keep you from losing what you've got.