Practicing Rhythm Changes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jul 12, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    That is why I like this approach it emphasizes the thirds, I could see totally dropping the root and fifth, and sounding pretty good.

2. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Do players add 7ths in the bridge? I think the question is narrow. When it comes to improv, all notes are fair game; the point is where are they going? Extensions are part of a chord tonality or colour. You can paint some pretty cool stuff with three colours, but when you get to mixing the basic palate you create new colours; sounds that you can call your own.

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    The bridge are flat seven chords, though often times people will sharp the root to get a diminished 6. When I was playing drums in a school guitar combo, I remember the instructor made all the guitarists go through and do alternating 3rds and 7ths over the top of the blues progression. Some pretty cool stuff. I didn't know you could do it with the rhythm changes too.

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Wow I can play those fast, and they actually sound like the rhythm changes.

I added the 7ths (dominant or flat where ever appropriate) to the verse and chorus parts and did the same thing... Smooth

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    SmoothOperator are you playing with chord changes? ie., are you playing with a guitar or piano or with a backing track. If not you really can't learn to improvise. You have to play with chord changes to hear how what you are playing sounds with the changes.