Practicing scales in different ways

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Hi,

I'm searching for different exercises for practicing scales, I normally just play the scales in my whole register, but its just up and down.
    This doesn't seem to be enough... can you post some scale exercises here that are a bit different than the arbans that you might practice yourself?
    I'll post some myself too scales.jpg

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Scale Force by Rich Willey... boptism publishing

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Don't overlook just making your own up. IMHO the greatest jazz player of all time, all instruments, Michael Brecker was asked something similar. His response was he didn't have any special book he went to. He'd just make up his own patterns then learn them in every key. Of course he knew the basics too, but for that "going beyond" stuff he just made it up himself.

4. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    The problem with me is when I make my own stuff I don't practice it as disciplined as when I'm given exercises... Maybe this will fade away when I play scales more easily...But right now I just like to do it with stuff that is already written, and especially when it's free, I don't have money right now.

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Start like on low F sharp and play a chromatic 2 octaves then the major 2 octaves, then the thirds 2 octaves, then the minor 2 octaves then the triad 2 octaves all in one breath, no breaks, then move up a half step to F and repeat……keep going……

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I like the Vizzutti's and Clarke's Technical Studies ... The Vizzzutti's first book takes patterns similar to Clarke's but has then in minor, dim and half dim. It isn't jazz per say just great to get your fingers and ear use to the sound and flow.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just take the scales then add rhythm or tonguing. HERE is my favorite for making the scales a workout -- start the scale and do each note as what is called a siren pattern of dynamics. start with a C (or whatever note) --- play ppp then gradually make it louder to FF, and then back down to ppp -- and do each note in the scale on 1 breath (make the siren as long as you got breath for that note).

I think this is guaranteed to help you -- and at first it might even frustrate you --- but it will be a good workout for embouchure, hand eye, air support coordination and such while you are doing your scales.