Practicing Scales WITHOUT trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Jul 24, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now here is a philosophical answer to how you can practice scales without a trumpet... Use a keyboard. I find visualizing key positions very helpful in how I translate scales to the trumpet.

Example: Whole note scales: I visualize the white and dark keys separated by 2 and 3 black noted patterns. If I start on white in the 2 black note part of the keyboard (C) the next note will be white (D) as will the next (E), but now I enter the three black note part of the scale, and visually switch to the black keys (F#, G#, A#) then I exit the 3 black not pattern and re-enter the 2 black note pattern, where I convert back to white notes: (C). Whole note scale is practiced (in my mind) and converted to the horn (by my fingers) as: C, D, E, F#, G#, A#, C, D then back down.

Hope I did not hurt any body with this visual conversion. I am very right brained and find the keyboard helps me with nearly all of my scales and improvisation around chords.

2. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Evem though I play keyboards, I still relate everything subconsciously to the trumpet. If I am looking at a lead sheet in concert pitch I find myself singing the melody while fingering the notes transposed for trumpet. I'm not right-brained, more like no-brained.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if you were -- "no brained" ---then you would be a percussionist, or my goodness, if they took a stick away from you, then you could end up a conductor -- ROFL ROFL ROFL
    OP --- practice scales with the fingers (both up and down) and don't forget the arpeggios -- don't forget the chromatic scale either ----- try to use a mute, or get some actual FACE to mpc time, to get the coordination correct between the whole scenario (fingers, embouchure, breathing, etc --- eventually it all has to be there -- together anyhow)

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Contact a local Church or school and work something out. Practicing fingering exercises without the horn and blowing is a waste of time.

5. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Learn to practice softly ... or .... buy a practice mute.

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Play really really quietly..... almost a whisper... it will give you quite a workout too.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I totally disagree with this. I practice scales often with just my fingers, using the desk, the steering wheel, my left hand, as a substitute for the horn. It has helped, no question about it.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also buzz the notes as I play the fingerings.

9. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    This 'll only help to memorize a scale, but that's only part of the "scale practicing".
    Playing a song just by using your fingers on your wheel doesn't make you a better trumpeter, it'll only help to memorize I believe

Maybe a dampening ring (see ebay) will help?

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Google Best Brass Corporation (Japan). They make a trumpet practice mute that is excellent, in my humble opinion. You will pay for it (near $100) but I have successfully used it in motel rooms with no quibble from the neighbors.