Practicing Scales WITHOUT trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Jul 24, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I like this part of the quote. THAT's why we work so hard on our playing skills ...... Of all the BADLY played instruments I've seen and heard on stages, nothing comes close to the cringing, sinking feeling you get when somebody really can not play the trumpet. WHY they would be up on stage, demonstrating how much they suck on the instrument, is always beyond me. In Mexico, just on one visit, we heard a guy playing along with a duo on guitar and vocals, who obviously was able to play at some point in his life, but his chops had gone south and he was constantly flat. It made my shrimp pasta dinner taste flat. :-(

A few evenings later, we heard someone just torturing a horn on the beach .... Oy. Agreed. Nothing is more miserable than a wimpy trumpet player.

Turtle

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I feel the same when it's a singer!!!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    +1 for me on that. You can do many repetitions of the scales with just the valves, until you don't even have to think about them consciously. No need to worry about noise or embouchure wearing thin.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass. Wait, is that how it goes?????? Sorry getting off thread here. OOps!!!!!
    Some of my neighbors hear me, and they don't mind. I use Yamaha silent brass other times. It's not preferable, but is better than not playing at all.

5. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    Hey thats what pocket trumpets are for! ;) Phaeton makes an awesome one!

6. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    if no horn , play scales with the MP alone. Most people are surprised to know that their pitch isnt the exact note its supposed to be when playing thru the mp alone. Start at C and go up with just the mouthpiece, the pitches should match what they would be if on the horn. Pops McGlaughlin talks about this on youtube.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't get the relationship to Phaeton pocket trumpets and the OP's predicament.

Ref: buzzing - for me, that doesn't significantly reduce the "noise" level nearly as much as using a practice mute.

8. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    Hi, he had posted a comment about being able to practice in his car with the mouthpiece but not his full size trumpet lol

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I practice a lot in my car at work. My pocket trumpet definitely works better for this.

Mike

10. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    "Practice?" Work?" I'm not familiar with these terms....