practicing seating and standing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jul 26, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I was wondering when you practice is it good sometimes to stand ...... and ROwk dont get angry at me for asking this question I forgot to ask my teacher because I asked him alot of other questions ,Anthony :-)

2. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    Hi Anthony,

Personally, I like practicing standing these days. For me, it's mental and I feel I can align myself with my breathing, relaxation and all better if I'm standing.

Back in college, I had one of those ergonomic "kneeling" chairs and it was great to have around when you really didn't feel like standing anymore. College days involved miles of walking each day so sometime's you're beat and don't want to stand.

3. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I use a bar stool (don't laugh) for practice because everything aligns better.

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    You can play seated but make sure your sitting right. Personally I like to stand because I:play::thumbsup: can breath easier.

5. svburns

svburns New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    My feeling is that you should practice the way you're going to perform. So, if you're going to be in a section seated at the back of an orchestra/band, practice seated. If your giving a recital, playing chamber music or otherwise standing, practice standing.

Ultimately your alignment shouldn't change: Head over Shoulders (chest open) over spine over hips with legs relaxed and engaged, feet under shoulders.

Feel the stable energy of the earth anchor the flow of your torso, while the head and shoulders are relaxed and balanced.

s

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    for beginning to intermediate students I advise them to practice standing. It just makes it easier to do the right things breathing wise, which are VERY important, and one of the major things I'm always working on with beginning and intermediate students. Beyond that, I don't think it's that big a deal...I sometimes stand and I sometimes sit....as I get older I sit more (oh my aching back!!!) =:-)

bigtiny

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My favorite, too, for the same resons. Don't laugh!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I practice standing up.

Anthony, I never get mad. Sometimes annoyed if the answer is obvious or "indecent".

I did some measurements 20 years ago and found out that I had about 1/2 liter more lung capacity when standing up. Funny enough, that never translated into higher notes, more endurance or longer phrases. I did find that I was more relaxed when standing. It was easier to find and keep my balance.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I like to stand, for similar reasons as others (better posture and breathing), but I eventually learned how to keep that posture and breathing (or at least be pretty close) sitting too.

My teacher told me to "sit like I stand," meaning to keep the same good posture and allignment I have standing while seated. For me, this meant getting more to the forward edge of the chair, so the my upper body was as much like I was standing as I could be. That (for me) relieves the constricted feeling that I sometimes felt sitting down.

I had another teacher who recommended a stool, which also worked really well. My goal though, is to try to keep the upper body posture as good as possible however I'm situated so that sitting or standing, I'm really not changing much besides bending my legs.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I agree with Pedal C , when I was in high school my private teacher had me stand for my warm up, long tones, lip slurs ,range exercises ,scales, then sit using the same upper body posture when working out of Arban's ,Clarke, etc. learn to play both ways and you will always be comfortable.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009