practicing seating and standing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jul 26, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I like to sit. probably because I'm old.
    I think to do the best job you should do some sitting and some standing.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Both :D
    Practice sitting cause you're going to have to play that way, and practice standing because you'll probably have to play that way too.

And I do think stools are the best way to sit - they seem to add some of the advantages of standing, with the laziness (I mean support) of sitting

3. svburns

svburns New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    One of the best tools for finding the same posture seated as we have standing is the Swiss Ball; a 36-48" inflated ball that Pilates instructors and PT's use to increase core stability and strength... that is the part we're suppose to be using most, right?

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you guys sit and stand appreciate your help ,now I have to go practise Thank you all ,Anthony :-)

5. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I like standing for all of the reasons already mentioned-
    however - my son, while studying for his masters in architecture, designed and built a chair/stool using renewables - it is great for my practicing. I sit a little higher and my legs feel good - it is a little shorter than a bar stool and more comfortable - the legs are rounded so i can rock forward and back. Not bragging on my son but i really like it. Since he is an unemployed architect, i should have him start making more of them.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fels,
    have him put a picture and price in the marketplace. It's free and a good chair could be viewed as an accessory!

7. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I prefer to practice how I am going to play a particular piece.

Playing in Church I sit - I practice these songs seated
    Duets and Trio I stand - I practice these standing

Fundamentals and skills - I practice both stand and sitting.

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Back when I was young, (Last year) Not.....and in the Army band in NYC. I was sitting during a performance and gave myself a double hernia, (or so the Doc thought) due to a lazy sitting position and improper "setting" of my diaphragm. Turns out it was a double strain that prevented me from playing for a month to aid the healing process. So......Moral of this story, if you are going to sit to practice / perform, you need to sit on the edge of your chair with a straight back to facilitate proper diaphragm alignment and control. Personally I really dislike playing while sitting and prefer standing. But alas one of the bands I perform in all sit, so as to not look like a fool I have to sit also. But I make sure I sit correctly to aid in healthy breathing form !! Lesson learned the hard way !

Hoghorn