Practicing technique with band...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Jul 2, 2015.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I've seen many posts on TM about people who have been practicing all sorts of new embouchures mpc placements etc and they've really seen the benifits.
    However, how does one do this when they're a part of many bands?
    Such as, if I wanted to practice reduced pressure, how do I do this when I'm a part of 3 bands? I can't just not go (believe me haha) and surely going would reset any gains from practicing this new technique?

2. ALWilts

ALWilts New Friend

Jun 26, 2015
    England
    I think it would have to be something you applied to your practice and any 'easier' parts you play in the band, and the stronger you play with the new technique, the more it can be applied to performance. The age old 'two steps forward, one step back' comes to mind.. Sometimes it's more beneficial in the long run.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A lot of what we read on the internet is wishful thinking or outright lies - especially when it comes to embouchure discussions! It is hard to change anything when you are a working musician. If really feel a need for a change, you have to accept any risks that may be involved. Taking 4 weeks off and during that time heavily focussing on the change is a lot less risky than messing with your playing opportunities.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    QFT - I know that my embouchure could probably use some work, but I've never been able to really stop to take the time to do it because I gig enough that I can't afford to have a total chops meltdown in the midst of messing with my chops. Especially since I'm not absolutely positive it would benefit me in the long run, and if I couldn't get it back together, it would have a detrimental effect on the gigging I do.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TJ,
    you are absolutely right and on the other hand very lucky that you were able to navigate the change successfully. That says much more about you and your fine state as a player and person than a generality applicable to others.

To answer the thread owner with content, we have to know more about the bands, the parts, the level of practice quality and many other things. Changing habits is a big deal.

I would say that the truthful reports about embouchure change on the internet are less than 5%. The threads on reducing pressure very seldom get an update after MONTHS, so we don't know what sticks.

The first symptom of "reducing" pressure is a loss of range and endurance. That is why I advocate evolution instead of revolution: a daily routine with things that are good for us. That only works if we have and take the time as well as avoid playing jobs that make us twist our face into shape.